Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Which Watt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:34 AM
LDaba
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Watt?

Hello: I have been considering building an electric R/C plane for some time. One hold up is I don't all that much (read hardly anything) about electric motors and related gear. I am a seasoned flier. By that I mean I can fly sport designs, biplanes and warbirds. Sometimes I even bring them home in one piece.
Seriously, I can fly, but I don't know how to figure out which motor provides the equivalent power. Also I need a certain amount of flight time so what battery to use?
The Pet project I have in mind is an Airco DH2
Old 04-07-2008, 07:48 AM
LDaba
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Which Watt?

Hello again: I hit send accidently before I was finished . The DH 2 would have a 75" wing span. In the glow world I would use a 120 4 cycle engine to power this. It is a high drag WW 1 pusher design. With an electric motor there would be 2 BIG advantages over glow. First would be safety, no balancing over a tail boom with a starter. Second would be the absence of engine vibration. THis would allow a lighter build, ergo a better flying plane. I would require a engine run time of 10 minutes. This would allow time for taxi out, a club requirement, 7 minutes of flight with a reserve in case of blown approaches etc landing and a taxi back.
I fly the aircraft prototypically. By that I mean I use the throttle. I am not always at full throttle.
Well there it is. Can anyone suggest an engine /battery combo or a way to determine what equipment is required. Thanks in advance.
Happy landings, Tony.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 AM
ozrcboy

Default RE: Which Watt?

Read through

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm]Ed's Guide to everything you want to know about electric flight[/link]
[link=http://www.oz********.com/2007/09/guide-to-electrics-for-nitroglow-heads.html]My Guide to Electrics for Glow Flyers[/link]
and
[link=http://www.oz********.com/2007/01/electrics-of-electric-flight.html]The Basic Electric's of Electric Flight[/link]

Read through that stuff - then some of the things that people will say to you will start to make some sense. Oh, and let us know how much you anticipate your plane will weigh, and how big a prop you would be happy to psin.

Cheers,
Oz.