Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

4 channel trainer question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

4 channel trainer question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Rob68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 channel trainer question

I was wondering, when I buy a 4 channel, high wing plane & first start out, can I just fly it using the ailerons & elevator till I get confident enough to start adding rudder?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Leo L

Default RE: 4 channel trainer question

It depends on the design of the plane and the size. Most parkflyers can be flown perfectly well without using the rudder. In fact, some, like the PZ Warbirds, don't have rudder control at all, they only have throttle, elevator and ailerons.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Swift427

ORIGINAL: Rob68

I was wondering, when I buy a 4 channel, high wing plane & first start out, can I just fly it using the ailerons & elevator till I get confident enough to start adding rudder?
There are some options if you are a beginner with limited 3 channel experience and this high wing plane is your first 4 channel plane:

If its a high wing electric glider similar to the Wing Dragon-4 you could disconnect/exchange the 3-pin aileron connector on the RX with the 3-pin rudder connector. If you are already familiar with 3 channel R/E/T then you may want to first get comfortable flying it as a 3 channel R/E/T and then later transistion to 3 channel A/E/T and finally to 4 channel configuration.

If you are a semi-experienced pilot and your new plane was a 4 channel sport warbird or a 4 channel 3D aerobatic then, Yes!, you could disable the rudder control and use just left-hand throttle until you get a few hours of flight time with the right-hand aileron/elevator joy stick. But, if you are still relatively inexperienced without the help of a qualified instructor and your plane is a high wing like Wing Dragon-4, then you may be more comfortable by first transistioning from right-hand rudder/elevator control to right-hand aileron/elevator control. It would be a good learning experience to see how your high wing plane responds differently from R/E/T control to A/E/T control, and then when your ready convert it to 4-channel control.

Your choice of option depends on your previous plane experience (are you still a beginner), the type of 4 channel plane you have, and whether you are learning on your own or via a qualified instructor with a buddy box as an option.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Rob68

I've decided to pick up the Aerobird Swift as my next plane to advance to ailerons. It seems like the best next step after my Skyfly & I don't need to worry about a rudder anyway. Hopefully by the time I master the Swift, the Parkzone brushless Corsair will be out.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Rob68

I've read up about the swift on the "official swift thread" & now I'm not so sure about getting it! A lot of people say that the swift is NOT a good aileron trainer & actually kind of hard to fly. Someone said the Parkzone Spitfire would actually be an easier plane with ailerons to fly. Do you guys think this is true?
Old 05-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Swift427

ORIGINAL: Rob68

I've read up about the swift on the "official swift thread" & now I'm not so sure about getting it! A lot of people say that the swift is NOT a good aileron trainer & actually kind of hard to fly. Someone said the Parkzone Spitfire would actually be an easier plane with ailerons to fly. Do you guys think this is true?
YES!

Check out some of the T-28 Trojan threads. If you already have 3 channel experience you may be ready for a 4 channel plane like the T-28, which seems to be the popular choice after a pilot has mastered a beginner 3 channel R/E/T like the HobbyZone SuperCub.

I haven't followed the T-28 threads, but I don't see why you couldn't easily convert it to R/E/T if you are still a beginner and then later A/E/T and then full 4 channel. You may want to run this approach by those on the T-28 thread and see if they think this plane is suitable as a 4 channel trainer in place of the Multiplex MiniMag for someone with previous R/E/T piloting experience. In other words instead of buying a 3 channel A/E/T Spitfire and then a 4 channel like the T-28, you may be further ahead money wise to get the T-28 and first fly it as 3 channel A/E/T or even R/E/T until you get comfortable with the plane's aerodynamics and then eventually 4 channel.

So, the question for Leo L and owners of the T-28 is this. Are you further ahead/better-off buying a 3 channel A/E/T Spitfire for your progression along the R/E/T-to-A/E/T learning curve or get a T-28 Trojan and convert it to 3 channel R/E/T, then A/E/T, and then 4 channel. This approach is assuming you already have high wing 3 channel R/E/T experience and feel that you would soon become bored with a 4 channel beginner plane such as the Multiplex MiniMag.

Which plane and option you choose depends on your present piloting skills and your particular interest in flyingsport, combat, pylon racing, 3D aerobatics.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:32 PM
tubamike78

i did same as you, went from skyfly to swift and it was a challange, first couple launches with the swift resulted in a spiral to the left into ground. after a few attempts i've become accustomed to launching it and now i fly it all the time, fun when you get used to it. the spitfire is much easier to fly then the swift was.
good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Leo L

As I said before, don't worry about using the rudder if you will be flying a parkflyer sized plane. I have a number of 4-channel planes and most of the time I only use the rudder to control the plane while its on the ground, keeping it straight for take-off and keeping it centered on the landing strip during landing. The only plane that I use the rudder on while its in the air is my Typhoon, and I use the rudder only to do stunts like flat spins. You operate the 4-channel plane almost the same as the 3-channel, except that you must be careful not to let the plane go into a roll. You will find that the 4-channel responds to your turn commands MUCH quicker than a 3-channel, so you must be careful not to overcorrect.

From my experience and from comments on the various threads, the best 4-channel trainers are:
1) ParkZone T-28 Trojan
2) Multiplex MiniMagistar (Minimag)
3) HobbyLobby Wind Dragon
4) GWS E-starter
Old 05-21-2008, 08:41 AM
ray foley

hi there from Toledo

I don't want to be a PITA but join an AMA affiliated R/C club with a training program, buddy box capability, and experienced flight instructors. This will make your set up to full house control easy as pie and save you the cost and frustration which comes from ruining you new plane within seconds of take off. And if your smart enough, ask the instructor what plane and other equipment to buy before you plunk down real money, savvy?

ciao -rjf
Old 05-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Swift427

I'm still learning that's it's a good idea to look at a member's R/C Proflile's last 10 posts. Rob68 bought an Aerobird 3 on 5/17 and maidened it on 5/18. His reason is:

"I really haven't yet "mastered" a 3-channel fixed-wing craft to the point that I'm bored with it, I'm really glad I trusted my gut & went with the AB3."

This is just another typical example of the progression along the R/E/T to A/E/T learning curve for a self-instructed parkflyer. It is also true that a R/E/T parkflyer can get just as much enjoyment from a 3 channel plane as an AMA club member gets from his 4-channel flying setup. There is certainly just reason for the AMA club A/E/T beginner training mentality using a buddy box with rudder control for just runway steering.

It's also a good example of a parkflyers RTF budget restraints ($110) compared to an AMA club members possible budget.