Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Drop Module

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 04:17 PM
fmf_rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop Module

Hello all,
Just wondering if someone has had the same experience as I do.
I just bought the drop module for hobbizone planes.
I used it for a while and my flying time was reduced greatly.
Later when I removed the module I noticed that the metal "dot" that holds the parachute in place was extremely hot, to a degree that if I left my finger for more than 1 second it could actually do a nasty burn on my finger.
I'm almost sure this is not normal, but I'm just wondering if this happened to someone else.
I'll probably go to the hobby store to return it.
Thanks.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:21 PM
twizler

Default RE: Drop Module

Hey there,

The metal dot on my hobbyzone drop module gets really hot too. Like you, if I were to keep my finger on it for a bit it would burn. Other than the heat (which I assumed was normal) I haven't had any problems.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:02 PM
fmf_rc

Thanks for the reply,
I went and returned the first drop module, to find the second one behaved just like the first one.
So this seems to be normal.
I made some test and without the drop module I get about 2 more minutes of fly time.
Thanks twizler!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:25 PM
nikg

I have a SC that I have not flown and it came with a drop module. I wonder why they stay so hot? This is probably sapping energy to keep the thing closed which does not sound like a great idea. I wonder how they work anyhow?
Old 08-10-2008, 05:15 PM
fmf_rc

Well actually is an electro-magnet, current needs to flow in order to make it work.
I just didn't realize the amount of heat that it was created in the process, meaning that there is a lot of energy from your battery being wasted into heat.
It's a strange design....
Old 08-13-2008, 11:57 AM
twizler

No worries fmf_rc, I'm glad that it worked out for you.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:18 PM
nikg

So I guess if you dropped the payload early then the magnet would no longer draw current and the battery would last longer. I wonder if a better design would be to have an electromagnet push the door open momentarily instead of pulling it to keep it closed the whole time? Just thinking out loud, not sure if it would work. I guess it wouldn't because they must have thought of that when they came up with the current design.