Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

E-flite Apprentice 15e RTF w/DX5e Radio

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

E-flite Apprentice 15e RTF w/DX5e Radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 11:11 AM
alex.guzun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-flite Apprentice 15e RTF w/DX5e Radio

I'm new to rc flying and now having Apprentice i'd like to replace that plastic spinner, but i'm totally dumb in that direction.
Please help me to choose appropriate Prop Adapter and/or Alu Spinner (i lost my original spinner cup, so don't think it is ok to fly without any, and i don't know what to choose and why) from HobbyCity (i'm gonna buy some stuff from there, so could add spinner to save on shipping)

Thank you in advance
Old 10-27-2008, 04:42 AM
tam popo

DslcDust - both planes you mentioned are great flyers, and being foam are easily repaired, as Greg mentioned. There is one thing that might swing your choice.....are you going to fly at a club or just Park Fly? If you want to fly at a club (for whatever reason) check with the Club what frequencies are allowed, some don't accept H/Zone or P/Zone planes, and if thats the case the DSM2 technology of the Apprentice, would suit you better. With tuition from a club you can progress with the Apprentice for some time and have loads of flying fun.
But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the SCub....lots of people have learnt and progressed with the plane, especially for Park Flying.

Thats my 2 penneth (we don't use cents!!)...good flying....
Old 01-28-2010, 07:55 PM
rmsingh

I just ordered this 10 mins ago from www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/ This will be my 1st RC plane in 22 years. I got myself Real Flight G5 for Xmas and I think I'm ready for my debut. Can't wait for some good weather. It's -12C outside.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:56 AM
tam popo

RMSingh....great choice!!! Thats a good discount as well......all the reports in the magazines in the UK speak highy of the Apprentice, so it must be good. Good luck with your Maiden flight
Old 02-05-2010, 11:06 PM
rmsingh

I recieved my order today. Yea! Now to find a field nearby that is not snow covered.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:32 PM
rmsingh

Ok, so I followed all instructions and got to the point of connecting the battery. The receiver sounded various tones as expected, but as soon as I turn on the transmitter, and operate the controls, I get a long continuos tone coming from the receiver. The tone would continue even if I turn off the transmitter. All controls operate as expected i.e. rudder, ailerons, throttle and elevator. What does the tone mean? I cannot find any references in the manual or this forum.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:48 PM
rmsingh

ORIGINAL: rmsingh

Ok, so I followed all instructions and got to the point of connecting the battery. The receiver sounded various tones as expected, but as soon as I turn on the transmitter, and operate the controls, I get a long continuos tone coming from the receiver. The tone would continue even if I turn off the transmitter. All controls operate as expected i.e. rudder, ailerons, throttle and elevator. What does the tone mean? I cannot find any references in the manual or this forum.
Could this be the problem? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7613275/tm.htm If so how do I solve it? Re-bind the transmitter/receiver?

Old 02-07-2010, 08:50 AM
tam popo

RMSingh....I read the report you posted and it educated me a little. However, I've been told that when 'arming' or locking the 2.4 RX to the TX it has to be done within about 6 seconds. I don't know if this is right, but it worked for me. Good luck.....
Old 02-07-2010, 12:20 PM
rmsingh

Thanks Tam. I'm trying to find out if this is normal or if there is a problem. The kit is RTF and the manual says that the receiver is binded at the factory. Since all controls operate, I would like to move on to the next step(flying). But it would be nice to have an experienced person comment on this. After all I would not want to take it out for a spin and have a failure midflight.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:08 PM
MN Seminole

rmsingh, Ithink Iknow what you are talking about and I am also trying to figure out the same thing. I got my Apprentice this week and got it all put together. I have a high pitch tone thats constant. It seems to get louder when I hook up and operate the wing servos. The sound seems to be coming from the reciever but I'm not 100% sure. I followed all directions and the plane seems to be working fine.

Ihave found nothing online about this. Ihave a Hobby Zone store locally and need to have them check it out but can't get there in the next week. Ialso have a Super Cub and it has zero noise from inside.

Does this sound like what you are getting? Ihave a feeling that its normal for the Apprentice.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:17 PM
rmsingh

ORIGINAL: MN Seminole

rmsingh, Ithink Iknow what you are talking about and I am also trying to figure out the same thing. I got my Apprentice this week and got it all put together. I have a high pitch tone thats constant. It seems to get louder when I hook up and operate the wing servos. The sound seems to be coming from the reciever but I'm not 100% sure. I followed all directions and the plane seems to be working fine.

Ihave found nothing online about this. Ihave a Hobby Zone store locally and need to have them check it out but can't get there in the next week. Ialso have a Super Cub and it has zero noise from inside.

Does this sound like what you are getting? Ihave a feeling that its normal for the Apprentice.
This is exactly what I'm experiencing. I just emailed HorizonHobby product support. I will post if I get any response.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:02 PM
liquid1

I just ordered the Apprentice..Should be here soon. Thanks Greg for your Investment in Vids there a Huge Help to someone getting into Planes..I have a King 3 Heli and love it.
Never flown a plane But always wanted one..After reading your Reviews this plane along with a FMS Sim and Soon Clearview Sim should be a great start..I have a
Ultra-Lite Air field 5 min from my house..Thanks to everyone..Soon to be new plane owner..
Old 02-08-2010, 09:32 AM
tam popo

Good luck Liquid.....
Old 02-08-2010, 10:16 AM
BEAR-AvHistory

Is it the reciever or a servo making the noise? Digital servos can sing to you & its normal not a problem.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 AM
rmsingh

I believe its the receivr because the tone sounds like the sounds generated by the reciever, but continuous. The servo whirs are different.
ORIGINAL: BEAR-AvHistory

Is it the reciever or a servo making the noise? Digital servos can sing to you & its normal not a problem.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:05 AM
BEAR-AvHistory

Are you turning the TX on first then the RX? If you turn the TX on & off while the RX is powered up it can give you a signal the the connection was lost. What that signal is depends on what ESC you have.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:19 PM
MN Seminole

In my case, I have done both and I still have the noise. It gets louder when you perform an action and its not the servos or motor. This sound is present all the time.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 PM
rmsingh

Yea, what he said... same thing.

In my case, I have done both and I still have the noise. It gets louder when you perform an action and its not the servos or motor. This sound is present all the time.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:30 AM
liquid1

ORIGINAL: tam popo

Good luck Liquid.....
Thanks Tam..I'm sure I will need it..I will just float and practice short landings for a while..The plane should be here in a few days, Is this plane on the FMS or Clearview..
I dont have clearview yet but was told its lots better. I will get it this weekend anyone here like it or is it best to spend the bucks on a realflite or G5 Sim..
Here Plane one I got. comming..
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/E_Fl..._p/efl2725.htm
Old 02-09-2010, 12:01 PM
BEAR-AvHistory

You can fly without the spinner its not required. I have a Dubro spinner. Well made with cap screws & real metal nut's no screw into plastic stuff.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:29 PM
rmsingh

ORIGINAL: rmsingh

Yea, what he said... same thing.

I got a call back from HorizonHobby support... apparently the sound is normal and comes from the motor. Case closed.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:50 PM
MN Seminole

I am going to take mine back to Hobby Zone and let them listen to it. No way the high pitch noise is the motor. Ihave it whether the motor is on or off.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:59 PM
rmsingh

Let me know it works out.

I am going to take mine back to Hobby Zone and let them listen to it. No way the high pitch noise is the motor. Ihave it whether the motor is on or off.
Here is the replies:

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby Product Support.

As the receiver does not have a sounding device, can you tell us if the noise is coming from the servos or the speed controller/motor. Please keep in mind that this aircraft uses digital servos and it is normal for them to emit a sound when powered on. This is normal.

If you should need further assistance regarding this issue please reply to this e-mail for additional support.

If you need assistance in the future, please feel free to e-mail us at productsupport@horizonhobby.<wbr></wbr>com or you may also contact us toll-free at 1-877-504-0233.

I have purchased a E-flite apprentice 15e RTF with a DX5e and AR500 receiver. I get a continuous tone coming from the receiver after I operate any controls on the transmitter. All controls operate properly. Is this normal? The tone is not like the whir of the servos. I have done all checks including re-binding the receiver. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby Product Support.The esc also does not have a sound device, could the sound be coming from the motor? It does not seem to be causing an issue so we would not think it should be a problem.

If you should need further assistance regarding this issue please reply to this e-mail for additional support.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:03 PM
UncleFesterESQ

Am picking up my Apprentice from my LHS today!! My first plane and will be taking her on a maiden flight at my local club so I can tie in with a trainer. VERYEXCITED!

Just curious if there was any follow up on these high pitched noises? Doesn't sound like a huge problem, but would like to know.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2010, 01:03 PM
MN Seminole

I also heard back from Horizon and they said it was normal. My excitement got the best of me, so I took it out and flew with it. It still makes the noise but the plane seems to be working just fine. Haven't had a chance to fly it since that first time...too much snow. I want to wait for the field to clear of snow and slush.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.