Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Ordered Gear - What Else Do I Need?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Ordered Gear - What Else Do I Need?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 03:32 PM
Goodthrust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered Gear - What Else Do I Need?

Well, I just took the first step into my (and my son's) new hobby. I ordered my basic gear yesterday and now will wait (im)patiently for all of it to arrive. here is what I ordered (based on much research and reading, much on this forum - THANKS!).

GWS Tiger Moth - GWS1020
GWS Pico Flight Pack (Futaba) - GWS2025
GWS 7.2v 270mAh Sanyo Battery Pack - GWSBP6N270
Futaba 6EXA 6 Channel FM/4 s3004 Servos
Wattage PF-12 Park Flyer AC/DC Peak Charger

My question is, what do I need in addition to the above mentioned equipment? In particular: 1) what tools, materials, etc. do I need (or would be helpful) when assembling my new Tiger Moth and 2) What spares, tools, gear, etc. do I need for my "flying kit" to take out to the airfield?

Also, what do you guys think of my choices for a beginning flyer (who also intends to move up after gaining experience)?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-27-2003, 05:05 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

single edge razor blades or a hobby knife for cutting, read suggestions about using the supplied glue (it's contact cement) or scrap it and use epoxy or elmers probond for glue, do a search for tiger moth mods, there's plenty of results. Doing a search on e-zone will also yield lots of results. Try www.tigermothsquadron.com for more info also. It's good that you're buying a good radio since you say you intend to move up later. Try to find a local club and get help at least with the maiden flight, balancing, etc, if you haven't already. You'll be glad you did. I didn't. You'll probably want a spare battery or five and at least a couple of props as well as some 5 min. epoxy and clear packing tape in your flight kit, spare rubber bands, and you'll figure out the rest as you go along. I feel the above is all pretty standard sound advice, and if I left anything out, I'm sure someone else will add their 2 cents or correct me. Welcome to RCU and enjoy your newfound addiction. Oh, and you'll probably destroy the stock wheels in no time either, if you're like me. Du-bro makes 1-1/2" wheels (ultra-lite or superlite or microlite, can't remember which) that fit well if you drill the hub halfway thru to get the wheelkeeper on. Wattage makes a steerable micro tailwheel bracket that can replace the skid, too. But do yourself a favor, and make mods a little at a time, so you don't get overwhelmed by the time you've put into the plane.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:03 AM
goofup

I found out I needed a set of small screwdrivers and a hand drill with really small bits. Picked those up a tool shop for less than $10. A set of hobby knifes. Sticky back velcro from Wally World's sewing department. Sandpaper. I used Probond to glue mine up with- it's light compared to epoxy- but be careful, it foams up as it dries and tends to run so keep an eye on it.

I strentghend my struts and leading edges of the lower wing (including under the rubber bands) with 1/8" square balsa. I also glued the strut all along where it touches the wing and not just the ends. This really locks the wings together, cures the flimsy strut problem, and strentghens the wings. I've cartwheeled mine more than once with no damage at all.

Finally, be sure the CG is correct- measure it from the most forward part of the lower wing (under the fuselage in the center) and not from the wing tips!
Old 05-28-2003, 01:40 PM
Goodthrust

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm making my list.

Any more thoughts from anyone?

And Goofup, I enjoyed reading your Newbie article. It was a big help in sorting through it all.