Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Help with a solid trainer

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Help with a solid trainer

Old 10-01-2008, 11:29 PM
benzy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a solid trainer

Ok. A few years back I bought a slow stick. From the beginning I was disappointed. It just was cheap. I don't expect to learn on something excessively nice but having the rudder and elevator taped on just wasn't what I was looking for. Long story short I was a little young and inexperienced and cut the servo leads far too short putting the center of gravity far too far forward. The first flight it dove right into the ground and blew the prop apart. It was no big issue but by the time I bought a new prop and got new servo leads the tape had lost all of its stickiness and the styrofoam looked like my dog had a bit of fun with it. Anyways I have recently gotten into the heli world a bit and thought it would be fun to try my hand again at planes. The only good thing about the slow stick was I got a decent FM radio. It isn't anything great today with DSM but it is a futaba 6exa. I also with the slow stick bought I believe this flight pack: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKKY5&P=7

So I was wondering what the best plane to restart would be. I no longer live with that dog so that problem won't happen again. Im going to use that radio if possible and I would really like to get away from something held together with cheap tape. I don't have much experience in what is or isn't built solidly but I would like a step up build wise from the slow stick. If I can use any of the stuff from that flight pack that would be even better. So any suggestions as to what would be a quality starter that doesn't feel so cheap. Oh the local hobby shop is a hobbytownusa. I like some of the guys there so if at all possible I would like to get something they offer. If there is a perfect plane out there for me and they don't sell it I can live with buying online but I really like to support them if at all possible.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Leo L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with a solid trainer

Hi Benzy2,

Welcome back to R/C flying.

The very best beginner plane is the HobbyZone SuperCub, which I'm sure is carried by your local hoby shop. It comes ready to fly (RTF) with a 27mhz radio, but you can replace the radio with your own gear if that is what you prefer. Do a search on the plane here and on Wattflyer.com and RCGroups.com forums and you will find that just about everyone raves about it. Just one caution: do not use the ACT feature. Its a great concept that lost something in the translation to the real world. ACT has caused more crashes than it has prevented.

If you don't like the SuperCub, go for the Multiplex EasyStar or its cheaper clone, Wild Hawk.

If none of these are to your liking, you can consider the Aerobird3, T-hawk or Firebird Phantom.

I strongly recommend that you get the Supercub. I've seen nearly a dozen people enter the hobby with this plane and none of them were disappointed. Its a truly great plane to learn on.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:18 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Help with a solid trainer

Benzy2,

How are you doing? Loving flying? What plane did you get?