Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

I hate to do this, but..

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

I hate to do this, but..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 AM
HEMICUDA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I hate to do this, but..

TedMo,

It's guys like you that scare people off...my goodness, you just proposed a $600 - $800 setup to someone
who is trying to get into the hobby! Always start slow, then he can go big on the second plane and get
a nice radio. Obviuosly $ means something to different people I guess. If I spent that kind of $ from the
start, my wife would have killed me. If I wrecked it...well I don't think I'd even come home...that kind
of money right off the bat is ridiculous! No offense TedMo if you got $ like that, but most do not.[&o]

Hemicuda
Old 12-11-2008, 12:20 AM
mkharv3

When I started 12 Years ago I bought my first trainer from Tower Hobbies. It was their 40 Size trainer with a old Tower .40 and Tower 4 Ch radio system.

I beat this plane up and learned with out a trainer box. To me that is the cheapest and best way to go.

Hell I think I might just purchase another becaues I love to do touch and goes for hours.

I miss my Tower Trainer.

Seriously look into it.

Mark
Old 12-11-2008, 12:45 AM
emiller

the kaos 40 from towerhobbies is a very good plane
Old 12-14-2008, 01:11 AM
saucerguy
Banned

I picked up an .40 Avistar in Jan, my first slimer and it's a total kitten in the air, hard to overcontrol which is good for the noob factor, easy to take off and it will float all day long very much like a glider. I fly much more advanced electric planes, but I fell in love with this one regardless, it's just fun to fly and feels more like a regular scale plane in the air rather then a quick little electric.

It's sold as a beginner/intermediate plane, so is a great one to start out with and build your flying skills up upon, and yeah, it has ailerons.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:42 PM
onewasp

{Quote}
....it's just fun to fly and feels more like a regular scale plane in the air rather then a quick little electric.

{Quote}

If you are flying the electric "like a quick little electric" then you have made that choice.

You may also fly the electric just like a Pattern plane; or just like an IMAA plane ____ you name it.

I find the flying style aspect to be one of the challenges in electric flying. I spend most of my time in the "Pattern like" mode.
It turns out the "quick little electric" can be made to fly just about as well as a dedicated Pattern Plane.
Now, I am working on putting it all together in a reduced "frame" so that the sequence is scaled to the length of the flying field.

I call it FUN !!!!

BTW you can smooth out just about any design and hone your flying skills at the same time.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:36 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

Regarding the j-3 bl, it is a decent beginner plane. I have the j-3 and my dad has the SC. The SC definitely handles wind a lot better, and can be modded to have ailerons. I've kind of been looking into modding the j-3 to add some ailerons, but I'm not sure it's possible (definitely not as easy). The j-3 flies faster allowing you to do some loop-d-loops and what not, whereas the SC would be lucky to do anything other than figure eights (I have gotten a loop or two out of it, but you really need to dive to gain enough speed). To sum up what I am saying, the j-3 is a pretty decent plane to start with, but like you I would have loved something with ailerons. Good luck with your decision making.