Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Super Cub Or Apprentice 15e ?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Super Cub Or Apprentice 15e ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:39 PM
mfbris
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Cub Or Apprentice 15e ?

Would just like some thoughts on choosing between these two planes for a beginner with a lot of flight simulator experience.
I am also planning on having an instructor or someone with a lot of experience around for the first few flights, even though I think I can handle it.

Hobby Zone Super Cub

Eflite Apprentice 15e

I have read many posts on both and just can not decide.

I like the Super Cub because of its ease of flight and the many excellent reviews it has received and the price.

That being said though I am leaning toward the Apprentice even though it costs twice as much or the following reasons.

The 2.4 Ghz radio it comes with for starters, I can use it future planes.
I am looking at the PZ T-28 or Corsair down the road and maybe and EDF in the future an the radio would be good fit for any of those.
The Lipo battery is also a plus and can be reused down the road.

The Apprentice has ailerons which is really what I want to learn to fly and have been practicing with on the sims.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

Old 11-30-2008, 08:45 PM
QF306

Default RE: Super Cub Or Apprentice 15e ?

Well if you have the Money , the flying area and an instructor go for the apprentice.
As you say the radio , lipo and charger can be used down the line.
The apprentice is just as durable as the super cub.
The apprentice is probably alittle bit harder to fly than the supercub but if you have sim experience and an instructor it should not be a problem.
it has ailerons - good training for future aeroplanes.
also it is a tri gear as apposed to a tail dragger so it is easier to land.

any questions just contact me.
good luck and welcome to the most obsessive hobby ever.
Peter
Old 12-01-2008, 06:14 AM
lehrscott4

The main advantage of the supercub is the price. Its alot easier to deal with crashing a $160 plane than a $300 one. I've been eyeballing the apprentice as well and it looks like a good deal. Brushless, lipo, tricycle gear, and its overall size are all its strond points, however, it does look alot faster than the cub and will require alot more room to fly. I'd say go with the apprentice ONLY if you will have an instructor.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Leo L

The decission breaks down quite easily:

If you will be learning by yourself or if your flying area is no larger than 600ft.x600ft. get the Supercub.

If you will be learning with an instructor and your flying field is larger than 600ft.x 600ft., get the Apprentice.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:45 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Get the Apprentice. With your sim experience and the help of an instructor for the first few flights you should do fine. It's bigger, heavier (more stable in wind), comes with better equipment, and it will be much more responsive with ailerons. The Super Cub has no trainer port on the radio (the Apprentice's DX5e does), so all an instructor can do is help you set it up and maiden it for you.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:33 AM
HEMICUDA

The Supercub is a great starter plane to learn on, but the electronics, radio and motor are useless
in any other plane. Like you said, the Apprentice comes with a 5 ch 2.4ghz TX/RX and lipo and charger
and a brushless motor all of which can be used in the future. I think you already have made the decision
by knowing all that info.

Hemicuda
Old 12-25-2008, 10:54 AM
bhoges17

I bought the Supercub as my first plane. The one thing I dont like about it is certain areas are very weak and break too easy. The landing gear mounts break way too easy since the foam on the bottom is only about 1/4 around the batt holder. The tail section is thin as well. I had to build these up with carbon and they havent broken since. Since its a beginner plane it should be made to handle crashes better. Ive had some hard crashes with this plane and it takes a beating now.