Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Ni Mh Charging question....Help!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Ni Mh Charging question....Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:57 PM
skatsrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ni Mh Charging question....Help!

Just got an electric plane from China and the instrucions are a little vague to say the least. The plane came with a Ni Mh 2/3A 100 mAh 9.6v battery and a wall charger.
My question is how long do I charge i for? I did plug it into the plane and ran what little charge it had down before plugging into the charger. If I don't get a response in time or at all I'll pull it off after 8 hours. If anyone can clue me in I'd sure appriciate it......thanks.

Sam
Old 06-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Sir Raleigh

Default RE: Ni Mh Charging question....Help!

What is the output current rating of the charger?

To figure charge time you would divide the battery capacity by the charge rate and add 25% (overhead).

For example:

If the charger is rated at 10 mA and the battery has a capacity of 100 mAh, then 100 / 10 = 10 hours + 2.5 hours (25% overhead) for a total charge time of 12.5 hours.

Or, if you can constantly monitor the battery's temperature, the battery will be fully charged when it feels warm to the touch.

Bill
Old 07-01-2009, 12:09 AM
skatsrc

Thanks Bill

Must point out that i made a mistake entering the battery info.....it should have been 1100mAh not 100..my bad.

Anyhow, here's what I came up with. Battery 1100 mAh / Charger 300mAh so 3.6 + .9 = 4.5 hrs

Does that sound about right?

Sam
Old 07-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Sir Raleigh

Yep, sounds about right.

Also, make sure the battery is slightly warm when time is up. That will indicate the battery is fully charged.

Bill