Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Electric Power Suggestions For Midwest Tri-Squire?

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Electric Power Suggestions For Midwest Tri-Squire?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:14 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Power Suggestions For Midwest Tri-Squire?

Hi folks: I am plan/scratch building a Midwest Tri-Squire (my first r/c plane back in '73) and am wanting to try electric for the first time with this plane. After all these years with nitro (can I say that here? [X(]) I admit to knowing little about what is needed by way of electric equipment. This plane is a 3 channel, high wing, tri-gear setup. I have been plan/kit/scratch building for a long time and picked out my wood carefully so as to save weight build-up. Normally I'd power this 53" wingspan model with a .15 glow engine. BTW: the plane will be flown from grass fields.

Can you assist me with suggestions as to a quality motor, ESC, battery size and whatever else I'd need to order to go electric with the Tri-Squire? Thanks!

Soft landings.

Joe
Old 08-26-2009, 09:17 AM
whitecrest

Default RE: Electric Power Suggestions For Midwest Tri-Squire?

[link=http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/software/webocalc_1.05/html/webocalc_imperial.html]WeboCalc[/link] can help you configure your power system. Just plug in the vital statistics for your plane, and the program will help you select the power system you need. Read the excellent "Help" section for a tutorial. There are many, many motors, ESCs, and batteries that will do an excellent job for you. This program will let you select the right values for the ones you may choose. You are shooting for a system that delivers excellent power (approaching 1:1 or better) while staying just warm. A wattmeter should be used to verify that you are not overloading any of the power system components (battery, motor, or ESC).

Just guessing, you are probably looking for a 2-3 oz. outrunner rated at about 800 - 1000 rpm/volt (Kv) swinging a 9x5 to 11x5 prop. You will probably need about 20 - 30 amps depending on the voltage you choose, 3S or 4S (about 10.8 - 14.5 volts). A 2200 mAh 4S (4-cell lipo) might be a good battery selection. It could comfortably provide a 10C draw (22 amps) for around 300 watts without adding too much weight. Good luck with your configuration!

Old 08-26-2009, 12:24 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Electric Power Suggestions For Midwest Tri-Squire?

Thank you, Tim. A lot of information contained in your response which will get me headed in the right direction. I appreciate your assistance.

Soft landings.

Joe