Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Electrified Spirit

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 02:40 AM
Daniel Saito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrified Spirit

Hi,

Does anyone know how should I electrify a 2m Spirit sailplane? Is the electric power pod from Great Planes a good choice? (it's direct drive, 500 motor).

Also, I was wondering which trainer plane is better: Kyosho's EP Cessna 180, Kyosho Ferias or Great Planes Electricub.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:29 AM
KINGX

Hi, you should get a Kyosho cessna 180 EP, it is very stable and almost idestructible, i own two of them and fly them quite well , it can be fast, responsive to control inputs and slows down well for a landing. However , you MUST use a speed control.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:36 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The power pod is an OK choice, but just OK, not great. Direct drive motors are better on airplanes that fly at high speeds. Using the same motor with a gearbox and a much larger prop, say 3.0:1 and a 12x8 folding prop, would make the plane perform better and give you more "motor on" time.

With the power pod, though, you're limited in how big the prop can be. It's designed for the short direct-drive prop (7x4?), and a 12x8 would certainly chop the fuselage in half. This means you'd be better off putting the motor in the nose, like other electric gliders.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:56 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How you electrify the Spirit depends on what you goals are.

If you want the best thermalling plane but would like to e-launch from time to time, get the power pod. It is $32 from Tower Hobbies:
GP PowerPod

I don't see any reason why you could not modify the powerpod to make it taller so you could put on a bigger prop, or gear it and put on a deeper pitch prop.

By the way, it now comes with a speed 600 motor. I just took delivery of one. Haven't finished assembling it yet.

If you have decided to abandon hi-start and winch launches totally, then I would suggest you mount the motor in the nose. Can't recommend what you would need, but you could take a look at the manual for a Great Planes Spectra kit since it is so similar to the Spirit. See how they handle the motor mount there.

Spectra manual

A third approach would be to get a Great Planes Spectra kit. This plane is virtually identical to the Spirit, but it is powered. You can buy the whole kit for $69. Build the fuselage and swap fuse while keeping your spirit wings. Pick which fuse to use depending on when you want to soar, or you want to e-launch. This way each fuselage is properly balanced for the way it will be flown. And the rest of the kit serves as spare parts.

Just an idea!

I bought the powerpod because I am really most interested in thermaling. I have two other electric planes when I want to fly electric. I want my spirit as a true sailplane.

All depends on what your goal is.