Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

why are some lipos cheap and others expensive?

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

why are some lipos cheap and others expensive?

Old 12-14-2009, 11:22 AM
maxmax77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why are some lipos cheap and others expensive?

Why is it that when I go to buy a li-po battery, the price ranges from $50 for a 2s 1300mah to $7 for a 2s 1300mah? It doesn't seem to be the quality, as the reviews for most of the cheaper lipos are still good (most of the really inexpensive ones are at HobbyCity.com, and the cheapest are the [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?catname=ZIPPY+Lip oly&idCategory=235&ParentCat=85]zippy lipos[/link]

anyone know the answer?

thanks
-maxmax77
Old 12-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Leo L

Default RE: why are some lipos cheap and others expensive?

Quality control, middleman markup and profit are the three most obvious reasons. Last year I bought eight LiPo batteries from HobbyCity. One was completely defective. It would have cost me more to send it back than the battery was worth. However, the price difference still makes the cheap batteries well worth it.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:16 PM
maxmax77

ok, I'm glad to hear it. I recently purchased two [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9325]rhino 1250mAh 2S 7.4v 30C[/link] lipos for my E-starter plane and wasn't sure if there was a quality difference between a bigger brand.

thanks!
-maxmax77
Old 12-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

People are really saying the Hobby City batteries are a good value, all things considered.

If you look at actual data, they don't maintain their internal resistance as long as the more expensive batteries; they don't maintain top performance as long. The more expensive batteries tend to come with warranties. Thunder Power has an amazing warranty on their batteries and often will replace a troubled battery with a brand new one.

I have seen batteries come from Hobby City with problems (bad solder joints) and like mentioned above, it's not worth sending back. Luckily the problem was solved with a solder gun. Hobby City batteries also tend heavier than the more expensive batteries.

I am just starting out in electric flight. Hobby City batteries are the way to go, in my opinion, when starting out - this is likely when we will make mistakes that may ruin batteries.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:03 PM
maxmax77

here's another question; does the "c" rating matter all that much (20c, 30c)?? I accidentally got two 30c batteries instead of two 20c batteries. They're going to go with [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4713&Product_Name=TowerPro_BM2409-18T_/_25A_BEC_/_8x3.8_Prop_Combo]this esc/brushless motor/prop combo[/link]

thanks
-maxmax77
Old 12-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

It matters, but more C is better! It is the maximum amount of current your battery can expend at a continuous rate.

A 5000mah battery is the same as 5amp-hours. A 20C, 5000mah battery can spend 20x5amps, or 120amps, at a continuous rate without suffering much damage. Of course it is recommended to follow the 80%rule, so .8x20x5=96amps.

If you are using more current than specified by the C rate, your battery can get hot, puffy, or worse.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:30 PM
maxmax77

ok, so say I was planning on using about 20c constantly...it would be better to use a 30c battery for that compared to a 20c?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Yes.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:48 PM
maxmax77

thanks!!!