Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

fist time with a plane

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

fist time with a plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 12:59 AM
andrew76
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fist time with a plane

wen you toss the plane in the air what do you do in the controler i went out for the first time and i toss the pane with full troadle and it just dovein to the the floor i got a piper j-3 cub what did i do wrong or what to i need to do so it wont take a dive
Old 01-18-2010, 01:12 AM
jdetray

Default RE: fist time with a plane

There are any number of things that might have gone wrong.

The controls could be set up wrong or reversed. The control surfaces might not have been aligned properly. You might have tossed the plane upward at too steep an angle. You might have pushed the sticks in the wrong direction.

If you are new to flying, do you have an understanding of what each of the controls is supposed to do? For example, what should you expect the plane to do if you pull back on the righthand stick? What should you expect the plane to do if you push the righthand stick to the left? If you do not know the answers to these questions, you are not ready to fly a plane.

If you are brand new to flying, any or all of these things could be the problem. You might consider practicing on a simulator before flying again. A simulator will help you understand how each of the controls effects the plane. Even better, you could try to find an experienced pilot to help you learn how to fly.

Don't give up, but do what you can to prepare yourself before you try again.

- Jeff
Old 01-18-2010, 01:26 AM
andrew76

thanks for the respon i think i trow the plane wrong i trow it up and i been plaing in the similater for like 2 months i did not know trowing it up wood be wrong
Old 01-18-2010, 04:55 AM
phillipmorris

Yes the correct toss is straight out and level not up or will stall immediately into the turf, you want a medium toss, some authority but usually a baseball toss isn't needed, all surfaces flush as elevator and rudder, the COG Center of Gravity usually about just under 1/3 of the way back from the leading edge near 30 percent a slight nose heavy is safer than tail heavy...if the toss is abit weak a very momentary up elevator, very brief will also keep things from nosing in but if the nose rises too much it again will stall down so keep things level is the key...

Best bet is to get help from a seasoned pilot, making sure things are intrim etc and will get it safely in the air for you...

Overcontrol often enters into the delema for newbies, sometimes pulsing the stick keep the overcontrol down, give some stick and then release...

The dreaded rollercoaster effect frequents maiden flights, plane goes up and down, as it rises an immediate down stick and then release will usually smooth things out ...also is caused by too tailheavy improper COG Center Of Gravity and or too much up elevator trim...

Be patient you'll make it...keep us posted..

Note had some repair on one of my models, had just a touch of too much up elevator, the plane went into the up and down roller coaster, downsticked and smoothed but kept requiring down elevator at the right moments to safely land, readjusted the elevator abit more down trim made it correctly flush, the trim on the transmitter wasn't enough adjust the linkage to the elevator manually, also required to move the battery for proper COG Center Of Gravity, took 3 attempts for it to fly correctly, so correct trim is mandatory and reason we will keep suggesting a seasoned pilot to assist you for a safer experinece..BEST
Old 01-18-2010, 01:34 PM
andrew76

thanks for that great advise i will look for a person that will help me to see if i have all the thing right is great to have your great input thanks
Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 AM
huero123
Banned

IF U GUYS NEED SOME EASY CASH FOR SPARE PARTS THIS IS WARE I GO FOR MY MCX CUZ I ALWAYS CRASH IT ITS PRETTY EASY U CAN MAKE 50 CENTS IN ABOUT 2 MIN

Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 AM
phillipmorris

One more note are some low end models, super buy, but often underpowered, however with correct inputs will fly but only after letting them fly out about 2 infields before even thinking of applying a turn, it must go out staight quite aways to reach airspeed then some of these actually will fly rather well...several videos of these undepowered ships fooling an experienced flyer, hence a newbie has near zero chance on maidens...all important again get a pilot and hopefully one familiar with these intro models...

My first impression when I ran into one of these cheaper models as one of our new flyers purchased, it decked in more than once before I realized its long flight path required to reach airspeed, then I actually liked it and bought one of these, hey $69 complete...yes, they fly ! But Caution ....
Old 03-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Flash1940

Could be too late for this post....but here goes with my 2 cents.
All this stuff you should do before going to the flying field.
(1) Check all the throws on your surfaces.....make sure you have adequate UP elevator....without some UP....you ain't gonna go UP !
(2) Hold your model so that you can do a motor run-up. You need enough thrust to nearly lift it's weight. Keep your face & hands
away from the prop disc. This is a good test for your motor/prop set-up. Remember.....safety here is important. An APC prop is about like a spinning razor blade. Cuts are painful....and could leave scars if deep enough.
(3) Before going to the field (a day where the wind isn't too high) be sure all your batteries are charged.
(4) Do a range check....check everything over....then you're ready to launch.
(5) Throttle up to nearly full throttle. Face into the wind....if there is any.....you MUST NOT launch with the wind to your back. Lift your model directly above your head with your right hand with the wings horizontal and the nose of your model very slightly pointing upward. Give your model a gentle push straight up and release. The model will fly right out of your hand.....out in front of you.....get on your controls as quickly as possible and feed in a little UP.....not too much until the air speed builds. Be ready to make a gentle turn or the model will get too far away. Altitude is money in the bank. Back off the throttle and adjust trim for level flight at about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle.
(6) If all this fails......then you will need to find an experienced RC pilot that does hand launching. A glider pilot would be good.....glider pilots know more about hand launching than anybody.....except maybe the 3D guys or delta-wing flyers.
Good luck....
Flash
Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 PM
timber42

I have stupied question you will think. when you hook up the evelitor to the control box and you move the lever on the radio down should the evelator go down also or up
Old 03-05-2010, 12:13 AM
1320Fastback

The elevator should go up, it is like pulling back on the control stick of a real plane which will pitch the plane up. Think of a war movie where they are screaming Pull Up Pull UP, they are pulling the stick back to them.

Pushing the stick forward towards the top will make the elevator go down.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:49 AM
timber42

thank you it make sence now.