Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Buzzard Bombshell conversion

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Buzzard Bombshell conversion

Old 02-11-2010, 11:03 AM
racerxwest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzard Bombshell conversion

I have a 1/2 a powered Buzzard bombshell powered with a Cox texaco engine that I would like to convert to electric. So what would a starting point for the conversion be? Motor/speed controller/battery. Thanks
Old 02-12-2010, 07:15 AM
whitecrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buzzard Bombshell conversion

ORIGINAL: racerxwest

I have a 1/2 a powered Buzzard bombshell powered with a Cox texaco engine that I would like to convert to electric. So what would a starting point for the conversion be? Motor/speed controller/battery. Thanks
I think a good starting point would be about a 28-50 gram brushless outrunner rated 10-15 amps continuous current and 1000 - 1200 Kv (RPM/volt). ESC should be rated for 18-20 amps, and battery is 3S lipo from 880 - 1200 mAh. Prop should be around 8x4 to 10x6. There is a lot of room for variation, and many configurations would work well.

Google WeboCalc. This calculator will let you precisely estimate your power requirements. Just input your plane's vital statistics and desired flight characteristics to obtain a close estimate. Your 1/2 A Bombshell should fly very well on a fraction of the power that would be available from the setup described above while still maintaining a very light wing loading. A brushless/lipo power system works very well for 1/2 A ships. Good luck with your setup!