Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

aerobird upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 01:35 AM
slowmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aerobird upgrade

im thinking of buying an aerobird....ive read some threads talking about electrical glitches so im wondering if any of you aerobird owners have tried replacing the guts and instaling new servos esc and reciever....is it worth it...?
Old 07-15-2003, 11:00 AM
goofup

Default aerobird upgrade

It's not and you can't. Don't waste your money.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default aerobird upgrade

While I don't agree with Goofup that it can't be done, it's pretty foolish to spend all that money then throw away the most expensive parts. You're spending $169.99 then throwing away $120 worth of gear.

You would be much farther ahead if you chose a different plane.

Remember that ONE report of glitches does not mean that ALL the Aerobird radios are bad. ANY radio will glitch, given enough interference. It could be that the glitching Aerobird is being flown in a very harsh RF environment.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:17 PM
slowmo

Default aerobird upgrade

i guess you think ill just buy the bird just to replace the guts but ill only do that if its broken and non repairable....thanks anyway for the tip...
Old 07-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default aerobird upgrade

i guess you think ill just buy the bird just to replace the guts
That's what you implied in your first post. Like I said, pretty foolish. If you get some mileage on your Aerobird and want to experiment with different parts to make the plane fly better, that's different.

If the plane is still fairly new, and glitching no matter where you fly, it may be defective. In that case, you would take advantage of Horizon's technical support and warranty.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:14 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default aerobird upgrade

I have not had any signal interference problems with my Aerobird. There are a bunch of Aerobirds in our club and we often fly at the same time, on different channels of course.

Any plane on any frequency can be hit with interference. 27 mhz may be more or less prone to problems in your area as compared to 72 mhz.

For me, there have been no problems and I have over 50 flighs. Nor has anyone in the club reported any that I know of.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:33 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Default Slowmo

If you still want an Aerobird, see my ad. I'm selling mine to finance another project. Only two flights and no hard landings on a new fuselage and wing. Also has repaired fuselage with no electronics, and X-pack tail. Total batteries: two, one six-cell and one seven-cell. Original tail also in good shape. In original box with video and manual. Channel 3.

$ 120 OBO + shipping.

[email protected]
Photos available.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:50 AM
aeajr

Default aerobird upgrade

Mike,

Sounds like a good deal for your Aerobird. I would buy it myself, but despite many hard crashes and repairs, mine flys fine. I am sure someone will take your offer.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:50 AM
aeajr

Default aerobird upgrade

Mike,

Sounds like a good deal for your Aerobird. I would buy it myself, but despite many hard crashes and repairs, mine flys fine. I am sure someone will take your offer.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:40 AM
Crash_Airlines

Default Re: aerobird upgrade

Originally posted by slowmo
im thinking of buying an aerobird....ive read some threads talking about electrical glitches so im wondering if any of you aerobird owners have tried replacing the guts and instaling new servos esc and reciever....is it worth it...?
I own an Aerobird so I'm biased, but even if you came across these problems you can order an entire new fuselage for $42 at
http://www.hobbytown.com

I might be wrong, but I don't think you could find the guts for any plane to much cheaper than that. The only electrical glitch I really had so far was a loose connection with the battery connectors where they snap into place. I didn't have to buy any new parts or anything for it though.

By the way, www.hobbytown.com carries all the aerobird parts for as cheap as anywhere I can find on the internet if you need anything. I ordered the X-pack kit there along with some spare rubber bands and props.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:05 AM
aeajr

Default Re: Re: aerobird upgrade

Originally posted by Crash_Airlines
The only electrical glitch I really had so far was a loose connection with the battery connectors where they snap into place.
This connector problem is more common than I realized. I have cut the standard Tamaya connector out of my plane and off of all my battery packs. I replaced them with ultra deans connectors that you should be able to buy and any hobby store or on line RC airplane supplier.

I recommend anyone who plans to have lots of flights with their Aerobird consider making this change.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:47 AM
Crash_Airlines

Default Re: Re: Re: aerobird upgrade

Originally posted by AEAJR
This connector problem is more common than I realized. I have cut the standard Tamaya connector out of my plane and off of all my battery packs. I replaced them with ultra deans connectors that you should be able to buy and any hobby store or on line RC airplane supplier.

I recommend anyone who plans to have lots of flights with their Aerobird consider making this change.
I haven't had major problems so far with connectors, only a couple of minor ones twice. But I've been considering putting on different connectors like you have, but I've been too lazy so far Someday I plan on getting around to it.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:47 AM
aeajr

Default aerobird upgrade

Here is an example of a Deans Ultra connector:

http://www.eflightpacks.com/images/products/DUP.jpg