Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

WOO HOOOO!!!! I finally did it right!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

WOO HOOOO!!!! I finally did it right!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 08:49 PM
biker_ray_pa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOO HOOOO!!!! I finally did it right!!

WOO HOO!! I'm finally gettin' the hang of this. I had been getting pretty good with the old 2-channel Commander until its untimely demise a few weeks ago, so I went and bought a 3-channel Aerobird Challenger. I putzed around with it some, took some little tiny flights and made some great big repairs, but yesterday I FINALLY got it right. I took off, flew around the field and landed passably THREE TIMES IN A ROW!!

For the first time EVER, my airplane has come home in the same condition in which it left. I'm finally getting the hang of this.[sm=wink.gif]

Which is good, because I ordered a Magpie from Mountain Models. One step at a time, I guess.

Ray out.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:32 PM
mickey-gem

Default RE: WOO HOOOO!!!! I finally did it right!!

Biker Ray,

Congratulations! Nice feeling isn't it? There is nothing like that feeling of
accomplishment that comes from piloting your first successfull solo flight.

From my experience with te Aerobird type airframes, you may find the
Magpie easier to fly. The Magpie will probably respond to your control inputs
much quicker than your Aerobird. If you can program low rates in your radio
that will help with the initial flights. Then when you are comfortable with low
rates switch to high rates and have a ball!

Regards,

Jesse
Old 04-06-2005, 09:36 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: biker_ray_pa

WOO HOO!! I'm finally gettin' the hang of this. I had been getting pretty good with the old 2-channel Commander until its untimely demise a few weeks ago, so I went and bought a 3-channel Aerobird Challenger. I putzed around with it some, took some little tiny flights and made some great big repairs, but yesterday I FINALLY got it right. I took off, flew around the field and landed passably THREE TIMES IN A ROW!!

For the first time EVER, my airplane has come home in the same condition in which it left. I'm finally getting the hang of this.[sm=wink.gif]

Which is good, because I ordered a Magpie from Mountain Models. One step at a time, I guess.

Ray out.

Ray,

Congrats!

If you aren't doing it already, get that airplane into pro mode. You'll find it more responsive and actually easier to control.

Good choice with the Magpie.

You're officially hooked!

BobbyG

Old 04-06-2005, 10:01 PM
biker_ray_pa

Bobby: Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to the Magpie. I kind of get the impression that the more an airplane is built/shaped/operated like a "real" airplane, the better the flying experience one may have with it. I'm anxious for the Magpie to get here so I can get started with it, but I think a few dozen more success stories with the Challenger might be a good idea first. I kinda dig the concept of baby steps, especially when that first step down to the ground is a hundred feet or so. [8D] I am building a glow plane (Kadet LT-40) and have joined a local club so I can learn to "fly right," and the electric stuff I'm kinda doing on my own. I bought a radio for with the Kadet (Futaba 6EXA), and I'm trying to allocate enough brain cells (short supply) to figure out programming it. So far, so good.

Mickey: You're probably quite right. The first time I had the Challenger out, it was actually amazing to me how much easier it is to fly than the Commander was. I was thinking the same thing: get a couple more "good" flights under my belt, then switch to pro mode.

It's hard to fly this time of year, around here anyway. Wind is both omnipresent and elusive, and totally unpredictable. This afternoon, the flag on my flagpole was hanging still, but the flag on the pole across the road was whipping like it was in a hurricane. Once the weather finally breaks once and for all, I'm sure it will improve.

I have noticed, so far anyway, that flying is much like fly fishing and spray painting...as soon as you start, the wind wants to join in. It's like it follows you and knows exactly what you don't want it to do, then does it.

I was thinking maybe the next time I go flying, I'll take someone with me who has a kite. Let's see what the wind does then MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. [:@]

Ray out.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:26 PM
flmlm

Ray,

congradz, there's nothing like the feeling when you can close up the truck and not have to be thinking about the method of repair you'll have to imploy to get your freshly crashed model flying again! I'm close to doing the things your doing, and I absolutely love the Mountain Models products. I'm curently flying the Smoothe with the sport wing and I love it, just about to complete the Dandy GT, can't wait to get that one flying.

On the glow front I had a SIG Kavalier laying around and decided to just try and see if I could build it. I know this plane is above my current flying abilities, however to this point I've had a ball building it! On that note now I have the SIG Lt-40 on deck and I'm chopping at the bite to begin building that. I'm not sure how this RC bug bites but I've felt it deep! Good luck and happy landings.....

Regards

Mike

Old 04-11-2005, 07:31 PM
mrbig
My Feedback: (1)

Ray, now that you got several good flights under your belt it won't be long before you start looking for the next airplane. I believe that you are just starting to get hooked.
Brian
Old 04-11-2005, 09:55 PM
biker_ray_pa

ORIGINAL: mrbig

Ray, now that you got several good flights under your belt it won't be long before you start looking for the next airplane. I believe that you are just starting to get hooked.
Brian
Got the next two actually . I built a SIG Kadet LT-40 (I'm joining a local club to learn how to fly) and I'm currently building a Magpie from Mountain Models. Well, at least I won't get hassled anymore for spending all my money on trains....now I spend half of it on planes.

Ray out.

Old 04-17-2005, 01:26 PM
samolot
My Feedback: (14)

i know how the feel of success is, i havent soloed, but i did on a buddy box. took off flew around, landed, all on my own. On a gas trainer. I cant beleve its still in one piece