Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Opinions about this planes?

Old 07-15-2003, 04:30 AM
NearlySaneJim
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Opinions about this planes?

Has anybody heard or seen anything about this plane? I saw it while I was buzzing around eBay and I wondered if it was any good.

Jobar - search eBay for Jobar

I am looking for an ok 4 channel plane that comes with a reuseable radio for a low price. I'd like to not have to do too much building and I'd like to not have to wait for a perfectly windless day to fly. I have a Firebird Outlaw that I toy around with on very clear days and I'm pretty bored with it. I thought about moving to the Areobird or Fighterbird, but I think I want to go beyond that. $$$ is a big factor in my decision. I may want to switch to gas powered later, so I'm really interested in the Jobar.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:53 AM
goofup

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would think jumping from a 2-channel plane as simple as the Outlaw into a very fast 4-channel plane like the Jobar is way too big a leap. This is like going from a tricycle to a motorcycle.

I'd highly suggest a 3-channel plane like the Slow Stick or Tiger Moth. However, since you're insisting on flying when it's windy, you might look into a Mini Piper or an E-Starter set up as 3-channel.

Just remember, the question isn't whether the plane can handle some wind. The question is, can you?
Old 07-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is no need to go through the "logical" progression of 2, 3, then 4 channels. The PLANE, not the number of channels, determines how difficult a plane is to fly. Ailerons are no easier or harder to learn than rudder. You simply have to choose a plane that matches your flying skills. The only reason you would choose a 3-channel plane is because there are so many of them on the market. 3-channel planes are less expensive and easier to set up; it all boils down to the almighty dollar. If a company can sell more planes by making them less expensive, they will.

Frankly, I would be very hesitant about buying the Jobar, regardless of the fact that it doesn't look like a plane suitable for a beginner. It's being sold from Hong Kong, so the radio frequency may be illegal to use in the USA. The auction makes many very lofty claims, and in my experience, you need to take any and all claims with a grain of salt.

I recommend the E-Starter, set up as a 4-channel. It won't turn very well as a rudder-only plane, and you'll get into trouble. You need a more effective way to level the wings.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:23 PM
NearlySaneJim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think that the E-Starter would be good for me. I would prefer a 4 channel setup just to get used to it. As for the wind, I live near Chicago. If you can't fly in a little wind, you can't fly.

Does anybody have an idea how much a total setup would be for this? I need the plane, servos, batteries, radio, the works. Any recommendations? I looked around the net and didn't see the E-Starter packaged as a total ready to go kit. Money is a big factor for me. I may just not have enough money to get started in this sport. If you could point me to any deals, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:58 AM
NearlySaneJim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been looking around and the Jobar still kinda looks like a good deal to me. I was wondering if I might do well to get the plane and put a lower power engine in it or ditch the plane until later and just use the electronics. I'm currently looking into the frequencies used and AMA legality of the plane.

I was just trying to decide if I could pick up the Jobar and transfer the electronics to a E-Starter.

Thoughts? Opinions? Rants on how I should get a Slow Stick or Tiger Moth.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:39 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In the end, the decision is yours. If you trust the seller's description, and truly believe the plane uses standard components, and you feel that the purchase is an acceptable risk, go ahead.

We're just trying to make sure you get started off on the right foot. Trying to go the cheap route rarely works out. Again, it's your decision.

The ads picture a standard Futaba Skysport 4 transmitter. If this is actually what is included with the plane, you probably get standard radio equipment. HOWEVER, he says nothing about frequency, so you'll have to ask. Frequencies need to be in the 72MHz band, and will be described by a channel number anywhere from 11 to 60. DO NOT buy if it's not in the 72MHz band. You cannot get the radio converted, and even if you could, it would've been cheaper to buy one outright.

As far as putting a smaller motor in it to make it easier to fly, it doesn't work that way. In fact, the motor power system this Jobar comes with may not be enough to fly it in the first place. Underpowering a plane rarely makes it easier to fly, unless you also signifigantly reduce the weight so it's a real floater. We don't know how much this one weighs, only that the whole package weighs about 2.5Kg, or about 5.5lb. If that's just the plane, it's a lead sled that will never fly.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that the AMA is some sort of governing body. The AMA's only limitation is that the plane weighs less than 55lbs, and that's only for insurance purposes. Otherwise, if it flies and isn't an obvious death missile waiting to happen (i.e. checked out to be safe), the AMA doesn't care.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:56 AM
Doz_75

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Opinions about this planes?

I have the Jobar. It sucks I think. Bad constructed.

The Futaba you see on the pics, aren't the one you get when you recieve the plane.

I just broke 1 servo, by one little crash in a field.

So very low quality on all parts I would say. Wouldn't even say you get what you pay for. I have two Wing-Dragon II, and they were cheaper and much better quality.

Actually if you are thinking of going to the next step from 2 CH, I could very much recomment Wing-Dragon II or if you wanna go for 4 CH now Wing-Dragon Sportster (also known as Begin-Air).

Regards

Doan