Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

What to get to go with Tiger Moth?

Old 07-19-2003, 01:28 AM
Airborne 2007

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What to get to go with Tiger Moth?

Hi I am a pretty much a newbie looking for a nice slow/park flyer.
I have been looking at the tiger moth and was wondering if it would fit my list:
1. take some winds-maybe up to 10mph
2. capable of simple aerobatics loops, tailslides, etc.
3. Possibly able to take off from ground
4. easy to control
5. FORGIVING-somewhat slow but enough power for when you make mistakes

I was also looking at a 3 ch. radio since i dont think I will be moving up to ailerons etc. from this. I live pretty much over 4-5 miles from any one I know that has any RC vehicles. I would be flying pretty much in the winter in our fields since i live on a farm. So i was wondering if i should just get the AM radio or go for the better FM.
Also is this a kit that you have to cover, or is it pre-covered. and what other materials do you need to finish/fly it that aren't in the "kit."

Any response would be great thanks a lot!
Old 07-19-2003, 11:21 AM
goofup

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A Tiger Moth fits all the above requirements- except for the wind. It only flies 5-7 mph so forget 10 mph winds. The calmer the better(!), like morning or evening. After you've learned how to fly, then get you a faster plane that can handle the wind. (And don't think you can take the shortcut. Fast + more power + wind + trying to how to fly = diaster + a much longer learning curve.)

Get the better FM radio.

You don't have to cover it. It's already painted, not covered.

Glue (foam safe!!), hobby knife, small screwdrivers, etc. Nothing special. Get what you need as you need it. Use the search function here to learn about lots of tips.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:53 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As far as the onboard gear goes, you should probably stick with the pre-packaged stuff from GWS. Trying to piece together the appropriate transmitter, receiver, servos, speed control, and battery with no prior experience is a recipe for problems...

Check this out:
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...prod=GWSRCS115

This is a complete radio setup, with transmitter, specifically for the Tiger Moth and the other GWS "Pico" planes.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:24 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like a little breeze to do harriers with

But the Moth really is a great flying airplane. THough it will not loop from horivontal flight. It takes off from the ground in under 10 feet (on asphalt).
Old 08-02-2003, 01:52 AM
matthewn7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want a plane that has slow flying and high speed characteristics, get the tiger moth. Add a gws eps-300c from a slowstick a wattage 9.6v 800 mah battery a 1080 prop and more wing bracing and have some fun. With this setup my tiger moth will hover. This will be more complicated to setup to fly right. It will do almost anything from level flight.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:51 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just did some tailslides with mine!!!! Really neat to watch and lots of fun to do!

Aftermath: Uhh, I have to glue one of the cabanes back on...
Old 08-04-2003, 05:47 AM
Crash_Airlines

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Matt Kirsch
As far as the onboard gear goes, you should probably stick with the pre-packaged stuff from GWS. Trying to piece together the appropriate transmitter, receiver, servos, speed control, and battery with no prior experience is a recipe for problems...

Check this out:
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...prod=GWSRCS115

This is a complete radio setup, with transmitter, specifically for the Tiger Moth and the other GWS "Pico" planes.
I've currently been flying an Aerobird for a few weeks, and I'm considering buying a Tiger Moth.

This advice that's listed above makes sense. My question would be is would I be able to use this type of 4 channel transmitter for the majority of park flyer planes, or would I be better off buying lets say a 5 or 6 channel transmitter for possible planes I might buy down the road?

I guess I don't know what all these additional channels are used for. I know I will never buy those real large RC planes I've seen pictures of. I'll never buy anything bigger than a park flyer. And I intend to stay electric with any plane I buy.

But I'd hate to buy a 4 channel transmitter now, then a year from now need a 5 channel transmitter for a plane I like better, then the year after need a 6 channel transmitter for a better plane, etc.,,,

I'm not sure what all these channels are used for and what the most channels I would need. I know I'm interested in the Tiger Moth in the near future, but I'd like to be able to use the transmitter I buy for future planes too. Any thoughts?
Old 08-14-2003, 01:08 PM
slehmann

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Crash_Airlines
I've currently been flying an Aerobird for a few weeks, and I'm considering buying a Tiger Moth.

This advice that's listed above makes sense. My question would be is would I be able to use this type of 4 channel transmitter for the majority of park flyer planes, or would I be better off buying lets say a 5 or 6 channel transmitter for possible planes I might buy down the road?

I'm not sure what all these channels are used for and what the most channels I would need. I know I'm interested in the Tiger Moth in the near future, but I'd like to be able to use the transmitter I buy for future planes too. Any thoughts?
The four channels are for Throttle, Ailerons, Rudder and Elevator.

Everything else is luxury....flaps, retractable landing gear, photographic equipment and such. Until you're at the point you want all of those things, then don't bother with anything more than a 4 channel.

Slehmann
Old 08-16-2003, 06:48 AM
Crash_Airlines

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by slehmann
The four channels are for Throttle, Ailerons, Rudder and Elevator.

Everything else is luxury....flaps, retractable landing gear, photographic equipment and such. Until you're at the point you want all of those things, then don't bother with anything more than a 4 channel.

Slehmann
Thanks for the info! :thumbup:
Old 08-26-2003, 11:53 AM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GWS v. Hitec

Just a thought - yes, 4 channels should be fine especially if you are on a tight budget.

I'd check one thing on the GWSRCS115 ($115) though [the website I looked at doesn't provide the info] - does it have dual rates, V-tail and elevon mixing????

If it DOESN'T then I'd spend an extra $12 on a Hitec Laser 4 HTR971J (with Feather receiver - $127) which does. If you are like most flyers and want to branch into flying wings you'll need the mixing feature (yes, you can buy an onboard mixer for $12-$20 but it adds weight and complexity!). If money is not quite so tight I'd go one step higher and get the Hitec Flash 5 HTR971R (with the better, if slightly heavier 555 receiver - $169) - you'll eventually find a use for the 5th channel.

Cheers, Phil
Old 08-27-2003, 04:38 AM
Crash_Airlines

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: GWS v. Hitec

Originally posted by Dr Kiwi
.... If you are like most flyers and want to branch into flying wings you'll need the mixing feature (yes, you can buy an onboard mixer for $12-$20 but it adds weight and complexity!)...

Cheers, Phil
Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure what you mean by "branch into flying wings"???

Can anyone give me more info on that? Thanks.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:52 AM
slehmann

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Flying Wings

Flying wings like the "zagi" mix inputs from your Transmitter to use only 2 servos to make the ailerons also fill the function of elevator.

Zagi:

http://www.zagi.com/

Hope that helps.

Slehmann
Old 08-27-2003, 09:25 PM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Flying Wings

Oops! I should have said "branch out" into flying wings - i.e. "Zagi" and "Wing-E" type wings are quite a substantial change from the conventional fuselage, main wing, tailplane and rudder aircraft one typically flies and, as mentioned, do require a "mixing" capability.

Cheers, Phil
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	105271_20810.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	54485  
Old 08-28-2003, 08:05 AM
Crash_Airlines

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the input guys! :thumbup: