Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

4 simple LIPO Q's for Sum1 w/ LIPO experience! HELP

Old 06-08-2010, 12:41 PM
KrashTestKev

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 4 simple LIPO Q's for Sum1 w/ LIPO experience! HELP

Hello all,I haveone2200maH Zippy lipo pack that has swelled before. I don't know why it swelled up. I still use it with no problems...so far.Now after most flights its warm andslightly swollen, as itcools the swelling goes down.I always land as soon as esc/motor starts pulsing signaling low batt.

1) Why does this happen?
2) What are the chances this pack will fail on me?
3) Is this pack dangerous?
4) Voltage and balancing still fine on it.....but would YOU keep using this pack or not if it were in your plane?

Thanks in advance for your advice and knowledge,
KrashTestKev
Old 06-08-2010, 01:46 PM
fmw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 4 simple LIPO Q's for Sum1 w/ LIPO experience! HELP

The usual cause of swelling is running the battery down too far.  When lipos go below about 3 volts per cell for any length of time, it usually ruins them and some swell from the chemical change that takes place.  Some swell just because they are cheaply made.  Others swell for no apparent reason.  I've had some swell before they were ever used.

The chances the pack will fail are excellent if the cause was an over discharge.  The chances are probably not so excellent if they were from some other reason.  The pack is not dangerous.  Personally I would keep using it if it hadn't been over discharged.  I know some people actually pierce them to release the gas but I've never done that.  The smart answer is to discard the swollen packs and not take a chance and that's the advice I would give you despite the fact that I don't always follow that advice myself.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:38 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KrashTestKev

Hello all,I haveone2200maH Zippy lipo pack that has swelled before. I don't know why it swelled up. I still use it with no problems...so far.Now after most flights its warm andslightly swollen, as itcools the swelling goes down.I always land as soon as esc/motor starts pulsing signaling low batt.

1) Why does this happen?
2) What are the chances this pack will fail on me?
3) Is this pack dangerous?
4) Voltage and balancing still fine on it.....but would YOU keep using this pack or not if it were in your plane?

Thanks in advance for your advice and knowledge,
KrashTestKev
I will guess that you are pulling too much power at too high a rate and you are overloading the battery.Or you may be running it down toolow, or both.

What is the C rating on the Lipo? Do you know how many amps your motor is pulling? You would need a wattmeter for this, or a good table from the motor MFG.

If you are swelling the pack on a regular basis, the chances are high that the pack will fail and may even "vent with flame". Basically you are flying a time bomb. I would retire that pack immediately, but Iwould also want to understand how it got ruined.

At what rate are you charging it?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 AM
jooNorway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1: My experience is overloading during flight.
2: I think the chances are big...
3: IMHO; YES!
4: My choice; such a LiPo would be discharged and tossed, and would not enter my house.

It isn`t worth loosing your home for a few bucks.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Leisure_Shoot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For safety and peace of mind, consider getting some ammo cans from an army surplus store to keep your batteries in.
Either drill some holes to vent gases, or don't seal the lids closed.
The metal case will absorb most of the heat and flame.
Just don't store a case of paper towels, or oily rags on top of the ammo cases, and you will be provided a significant safety net for your lipos in case of disaster.