Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Landing charactaristics (Cessna 182 v. Edge 540 )

I have been flying a Cessna 182 EP 40" planes for a while now and i can do arobatic moves with the cessna with no porblem so I got excited and wanted something which is alot more responsive so I ordered an Edge 540 49" from Hobbyking.

What I would like to know is what is the flying charactaristic diffrances between the two planes in terms of Landing since cessna has 3 main landing gears and the Edge is a tail dragger.

I notices the Cesssna glides really well without power, does the Edge glide the same or do I have to always have the power-on ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Landing charactaristics (Cessna 182 v. Edge 540 )

You are comparing a high wing basic trainer to a sport plane. World of difference.
    The 540 is going to need to fly and land faster then the 182, otherwise it's going to stall on you. That's when things go ugly. Also the 182 is set up with a lot of dihedral to self right itself, not so the 540, it's going to stay where you point it, and not change unless you command it.

As for landing, land on the mains, then let it slow to settle on the tail wheel.

Also tail draggers tend to be a little more difficult on take off as they tend to be a little more prevalent to do a ground loop then a trike will. All because once the tail raises, unless you have enough speed to make the rudder effective, you have no steering.

Take your time with the 540, practice your landings 3 mistakes high so you get the feel of it, then make some touch and goes in preparation for the real landing.

Best of luck to you.
    Missing Man Formation, Looking heavenward you can't help but shed a tear, mournful, lonesome, a hole that screams out at you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Landing charactaristics (Cessna 182 v. Edge 540 )

glaicier girl,

thanks for the info.

I will defently take it easy intially and the touch and go seems liek a good idea.