Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Aerobird troubles

Old 07-24-2003, 12:56 AM
jatoo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Aerobird troubles

I recently got the Aerobird. I crashed into the creek(it hit a pole with the tail on its way in) One of the flaos on the tail was vertical. I unwinded the string untill it was level and i let it dry out. It now works again but the flap that was vertical doesn't move as far as the other? Would this be the servo? Can I replace the servo or do I have to but i whole new feuselage?
Old 07-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is the second time I've seen a problem like this, where one elevator was stuck vertical after a crash. Unfortunately, I am not sure what the problem could be.

My best guess is that the servo has stripped its gears, and is no longer centered. Unwinding the string addressed the symptom (flap being vertical), but did not address the real problem inside the airplane.

Look in through the canopy, and see if you can compare the positions of the two servos. I'm betting that the one with the vertical flap is not in the same position as the one that didn't get broken.

You can probably replace just the servo, but keep in mind that this airplane was not designed to be repaired. Normally, you would just replace the entire fuselage. It will take a little ingenuity and mechanical skill to disconnect the cords and extract the guts, but the actual servo replacement should be simple: Three screws and a plug.

As to which servo to replace it with, I believe they use GWS Pico servos, which can be purchased in practically any hobby shop in the US, but "down under," I'm not sure where you'd get them...
Old 07-27-2003, 09:28 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Most of the time, when this happens, one of two problems has occured.

1) The servo arm has slipped. The arm on the Aerobird servos are pressure fits. No gears and no splines. After a very bad crash, they can loosen up and slip.

2) An electronic glitch can cause the servo to wrap the line around itself. Don't ask me how, but mine did it once, and my friend's did it twice. Both of us ubserved this on power-up.

You are going to have to take the control board out and examine the servos. The arms should be facing each other.

This link is to a thread that has pictures I took of the board removed from teh plane as part of a reinforcement of the motor mount area. Perhaps they will help you. Note the position of the servo arms.

Aerobird internals photos

Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:55 AM
breakitfixit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BOTH of the above problems have happened to me.

As for the first one, i fixed it by removing the circuit board, unscrewing and removing the servo arm, and putting them back on so that they face each other, as aeajr said.

As for the second problem, i fixed it by again removing the circuit board and unwrapping the control line from the servo arm. (I suppose that if you're coordinated enough you could keep the board inside the fuse and unwrap the control line with a pencil or some sort of poking device)

Hope that helps
Old 08-07-2003, 08:16 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I received an interesting insight from another aerobird expert. He suggests that this problem of wrapping the line around the servo only happens when you have the transmitter sitting too close to the plane when you power it up. Somehow the strength of the signal overwhelms the control board and causes the servo to do this rotation.

I haven't tested it, but on the occasions where this happened to me and another pilot, I do believe the radio was sitting on the ground next to the plane.

You may also find helpful tips for your Aerobird in this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...s+for+aerobird]
Old 08-07-2003, 10:00 PM
breakitfixit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As a matter of fact, just this morning, the servo spun around and got cocked out of place. I thought it was a glitch in the computer, but I was holding the transmitter right next to the plane. That's interesting. I guess I should have somebody else hold the transmitter for pre-flight checks.

Btw, that's the third time the same servo arm has slipped. Would it be safe to stick a dab of glue to hold it on?
Old 08-07-2003, 10:05 PM
breakitfixit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Would holding a transmitter close to the electronics cause problems for all "bird" planes (or all planes in general) or is it just an aerobird problem?
Old 08-08-2003, 12:35 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would say a dab of glue might be ok, but be VERY careful. Don't use something like CA that could run down the servo arm and into the mechanism and glue it in place. What ever you use, just use a little. Press the arm on good and tight. Make sure you support the back of the board when you do it so you don't crack the board.

As for a special Aerobird problem, I could not say, but I have only heard of Aerobird pilots seeing this problem. Easy enough to avoid, just don't put the transmitter next to the plane as you plug in the plane's battery. Once the battery is plugged in and the board is initalized, I doubt you will have a problem. I never have.