Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Trouble getting motor to run

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Trouble getting motor to run

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 AM
kc5dlo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble getting motor to run

New to RC. Bought a Parkzone Radian Pro PNP. My radio is a Fly Sky CT6B. Finally got all the controls working, (ex. ailerons, rudder, elevator, and flaps). Can not get the motor to run. I am sure it is something I am doing wrong. I have made sure the throttle sick is all the down when getting started. Tried cycling to full throttle and back. I tried reversing the servo in the transmitter. I have tried a second battery.
I suspect I have something incorrectly set up in the transmitter but have no clue at this point.

Steve
Old 03-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Trouble getting motor to run

Steve, according to the manual, you need to have the throttle down all the way, AND the throttle trim down all the way, then plug in the pack. You should get a series of tones and continuous LED lamp.

Since you got everything else working I'm guessing you have the esc plugged into the correct channel on the rx for your system.

The Horizon esc's can be finicky at times. On my E-Flite airliner, I have to have the throttle up fully, plug in the pack, listen for tones, then move the throttle to off, to get them to arm.
I ended up adding some down throttle trim too as once in a while it seemed like the esc's didn't recognize throttle off. Now it works, weird, but it works.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:10 PM
kc5dlo

Thanks for the help. The lead from the motor controler is plugged into #3. Have the throttle and trim set to minimum and no go. I will continue to try. I am going to start fresh with a new set up on the radio. Do the end points and throttle curve need to be set up on the throttle? I click on the throtle curve and it is blank.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:55 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Do you have adjustable end points in your radio? I did a search for your radio but didn't think it had endpoints.

With my ESC, I need to setup the endpoints by (basically) turning everything on, and lowering my throttle end point until the ESC senses it (and always go an extra click down on the end point).

So yes, end points are important. Throttle curve should not matter.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:38 AM
AltaTed

I had similar problem including same transmitter last year. I got it to bind fine, the servos all worked but no motor action at all. After trying everything listed above and failing I replaced the ESC and it worked fine then.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:21 AM
kc5dlo

I was able to get the motor to run last night. I found a generic file for fixed wing to load into the transmitter. Still need to go back and revese the servos in the transmitter as the throttle stick was backwards.

Does the servo direction have anything to do with the way the cable is plugged into the receiver? Could not find any direction to plug them in so I gust made sure they were all facing the same direction. Worst case I would have turned the plugs around. It is quiet easy to simply put a check mark in the box to reverse the servo though.

Lots to learn. Thank you all for the help.

Steve
Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Plugging a servo in backwards and it wont work, if the servos backwards you reverse it in the transmitter.