Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Nexstar Mini EP 2.4Ghz RTF and Rx-R

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Hobbico Nexstar Mini EP 2.4Ghz RTF and Rx-R

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:51 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Nexstar Mini EP 2.4Ghz RTF and Rx-R

Tower Hobbies is showing two very interesting new electric trainer options:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXJS4&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXJS8&P=7

They already have a video posted as well:

http://video1.hobbico.com/gallery/hc...705-deluxe.mpg

This looks like a very nice flying little 4-channel trainer with a lot of value for the dollar ($189.99 Rx-R or $269.99 RTF). It's also interesting that Hobbico is combining the new Super Tigre brushless electric components and LiPo batteries with these airframes to create a complete package.

The best part? Hobbico finally left off the Auto Levelling System (ALS) from the full-size Nexstars!

This is a very smartly packaged product and I'm anxious to see one fly.

Hobbico also has a lot of data available on their website:

http://www.hobbiconexstar.com/nexstar-mini/index.html

If you're looking for a full 4-channel RTF electric trainer, this looks like a very solid option!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:55 AM
wattman

Default RE: Hobbico Nexstar Mini EP 2.4Ghz RTF and Rx-R

I was looking for a stol type , for where I have to land and takeoff .
Found one at Hobbytown , and it followed me home .
Overall impression of quality really good , went together really easy and quickly , good instruction manual .
My observations on the plane , I am anxious about the no glue of anything joining the wing halves , only useing the rod inserted in each half , and then a tiny tiny screw in one edge to hold the wings together ! Being a doubting thomas , I did add some tape to the middle joint . Battery box is a really tight fit to get the battery in and out [X(]
If the battery wires come out of the ends instead of the sides , it would maybe be easier to install and remove the battery , but the battery compartment is long to allow for c of g balance of the plane .
The rudder was not releaved to allow for clearance for the metal stab rod joing the two sides , so I filed a notch out to allow room for it , a very small quick mod .
The control rods for the rudder and elevator have neat small connectors for the horns , screw driver adjustable .
Overall a well thought out , quality product , I belive , will know for sure after flying .
The brushless motor is powerfull and it also has a nice lipo battery and charger , and 2.4 ghz radio , right out of the box , nice marketing Hobbico .
Went to the paved area from which I fly , the Mini Nexstar tracks really nice and straight , requireing Very little stick to keep it on track .
I was anxious to try the plane out , even though it was too windy for sure , and the sun direction was bad ..................but I did take off , it climbed like a homesick angel , up up and away , there was even more wind up higher , so I came back around and landed , to wait for a calmer day , I should not have taken off to start with . So I can not speak of its flying abilitys .
To be continued later
Old 09-27-2009, 01:42 PM
k27r
My Feedback: (7)

Does this have enough room to place 3S 2100mah packs?
I am looking for a plane to replace my stepdads SuperStar EP.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:09 PM
setnes1

i just bought one 10 min ago at tower hobbies! i'm realy looking forward too try this but its almost winter here in norway, so i think i must start looking for some skis for it
Old 10-01-2009, 04:11 PM
dbc

Got mine a few days ago but have not had time to assemble it. The battery compartment is large enough to easlily accomodate several 2200 mah batteries I have - Power Force, Zippy and Turnigy all fit nicely. I'm going to spend some time with the plane this evening and will report later. Initial impression is generally good. Covering is not as wrinkle free as several other Hobbico planes I have but it is probably better than most of my Eflite planes - at least initially. I feel sure that a little time with covering iron will have it looking fine. Plane is smaller and lighter than I envisioned but that may not be a bad thing. Very nicely packaged - should resist the gorillas at UPS nicely. Instructions are well done and easy to follow.
I'll post more later
Old 10-02-2009, 09:47 AM
pmcderm993

I would like to know what kind of flight times you are getting with various mah batteries in this plane. Does a 2100 make it not fly as well? How about a 1500mah or is a 1250 really the correct size? I have an electrifly 4-port charger. I am thinking of maybe getting this plane to use as a buddy box trainer and a relaxing plane to fly. Longer flight times would be nice but I don't want to sacrifice being able to float the plane around.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:04 PM
dbc

I've now assembled and flown this plane. Here are some observations: The plastic main landing gear is too soft and allows the wheels to splay out, especially when the battery's extra weight is onboard. Unlike metal landing gear struts, you cannot bend it back into shape. The tail feather attachment is easy but does not clamp the horizontal stab. Relys on the tight fit into the fuse groove to secure it - this does not allow for any adjustment of alignment (which is off on my plane). The unusual pushrods (carbon fiber) and the non-standard clevis and control horn arrangement is more difficult to use than other arrangements. My example had several loose and one missing screws for servos, rear wing mount, etc. The covering job was poorly done. Extensive use of covering iron improved the appearance but did not remove all the wrinkles. The control throws, even with all linkages set to minimum, is more than specified. This results in sensitive controls, not a problem if you have significant rc experience but not what you'd want if you are a beginner. If you use radio equipment that has adjustable control throws and/or expo this sensitivity can be eliminated. Flys well with batteries from 1550 to 2200 mah. Has enough power and a little more speed than I anticipated - I am flying it without the wing droops and speed brakes. Reasonable sized loops from level flight, rolls, stall turns, etc are easy but not very precise. Does not like inverted flight but will for a while. This is exactly the sort of flight characteristics you would expect from the plane.
Overall, I'd say the plane is acceptable but a little disappointing because of the design flaws and shoddy looking covering job. I'll post more after more flights (only 5 so far) and I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:43 AM
dbc

Flight times with 70% discharge and mixed flying: 1550 mah batt = 14 min. 2200 mah batt = 19 min. Plane weighs 21.5 oz w/o batt, 25.5 oz with 1550 Rhino batt. Draws 165 watts and 13.5 amps static after 10 sec. This gives exactly 100 watts per pound which makes for strong performance for a trainer. Spent some time last night getting the horizontal stab in alignment - the slot cut in the fuse was not level. I then added a long wood screw from underneath the fuse up through the horizontal stab and into the top of the fuse. This clamped the stab very tightly and eliminated a lot of flex and wobble. The plane flies much nicer now. The large aileron surface area combined with the long throws results in quite sensitive aileron control; it feels more like my E-Flite Mini Pulse sport plane than a trainer. The Nexstar mini has a roll rate almost equal to the Mini Pulse! It's also fairly sensitive to elevator input and, like so many planes, has far too much steering throw resulting in very sensitive ground handling when at some speed. I have not flown it with the wing droops and speed brakes and these would probably slow and desensitize the plane so that it would be more appropriate for beginners. My only remaining issues are the overly soft landing gear struts and the untidy covering job. Gonna give these some more effort soon . . .
Old 11-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Beachcomber

So, DBC, how are you doing with the NexSTAR Mini?

Anyone else have experience with this plane?

I'm thinking of getting one for Christmas. Any comments?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 PM
parkflier

dbc,

I have the Nexstar mini and have to agree with all your comments about the shortcomings. I'll add a couple more to round it out. First off, I had to "heavy up" the mounting hardware for the top nylon clamp on the nose gear. On my second flight, I came in just a little hard on the nose gear and the two small teeny weeny wood screws were pulled out of the rather pourous plywood firewall. I added a plywood brace behind the firewall with two 2-56 blind nuts and used two 2-56 machine screws through the clamp and into the blind nuts to create a very rigid mounting configuration. The gear won't pop loose now.

My second complaint has to do with Hobbico's choice of pushrods and control horns. Doesn't anyone at Hobbico know there are threaded pushrods and matching threaded clevis connectors available? Why do they always insist in using pushrods that are glued to the control horn pivots or use the clumsy setscrew clamping arrangement as on the Nexstar mini. Threaded rods/clevis connections are SO MUCH EASIER to adjust and fine tune.

The covering is something else! I've been disappointed with the sloppy wrinkled covering on most Hobbico planes I own. Don't know why it has to be that way.

On the plus side, the plane is a good value for what you get provided you are willing to correct all the deficiencies. I flew my Nexstar mini without the droops or speedbrakes and was surprised at the high flying speed. The plane is very sensitive even though I'm using a lot of expo on the control surfaces. I would NOT recommend this a first plane unless you have an instructor with you. Get yourself a HZ Super Cub or equivalent and learn how to fly, then you will be ready for the Nextstar mini to take you to the next level.

Cheers,
Ken
Old 11-17-2009, 08:19 PM
dbc

I've now gotten 35 flights on the mini nexstar and and I'm enjoying it more and more. I agree with Ken's observations above that the plane is faster and more sensitive to control input than almost any other trainer. It really almost flys like a sport plane without the wing droops and speed brakes. I've never installed these and they may make it slower and less sensitive.
I spent more time with the covering iron and managed to get it looking pretty good. Still not as nice a covering job as I would like. I stiffened the main landing gear strut by installing a flexible strap about 1 inch down the legs under the fuse. Wheels stay in correct alignment much better now.
I find it's so easy to just grab this plane and be flying it in a few seconds with no worries. Flys very stable and predicitable with no vices. Is able to easily do mild aerobatics, landings and takeoffs are not difficult and consistent. I'm getting 12-14 minute flights on Rhino 1550 mah packs. These are very inexpensive at $12 each.
Overall I think the plane is a very good value and lots of fun. I probably would not recommend it for a first trainer, however as a second plane it would be perfect.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:50 AM
parkflier

k27r

I'm using a Thunder Power 3s/11.1v 20C 2100 mAh ProLteV2 in my Nexstar mini. It fits perfectly and is somewhat lighter and smaller than other brands. The only downside is that Thunder Power batteries cost a bit more but you get what you pay for.

Ken
Old 11-20-2009, 07:38 PM
dbc

I'd probably not want to spend $48 on a battery for this plane. To each his own, however many, myself included, have found the inexpensive chinese lipos to be at least nearly as good as the name brands. Sometimes every bit as good. At any rate, the small motor and lightweight of this plane don't place very heavy demands on the battery. There are lots of satisfactory batteries out there.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Beachcomber

Hey Dbc, can you give a little more description of how you modified the main landing gear? Does the strap connect to each leg, or to the fuselage? I assume it is to prevent legs from spreading apart on hard landing? I've decided to get a Mini NexSTAR for Christmas, from my wife.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:03 AM
dbc

The strut legs on my plane were very soft and caused the wheels to splay out with just the weight of the plane and battery. Probably doesn't hurt but sure looks bad.
I used what is really a wide rubber band ( 1/4" wide by 2 1/4" long). I filed a shallow notch in the outer edge of each leg 1 1/4" under the fuse and the width of the band. The band then sits in the notch of each leg and applies constant pressure pulling the legs together slightly. This still allows plenty of flex in case of a hard landing. I had a black band and put a couple of small black tie wraps inside of each leg around the band to draw it tight in the notch. It ended up looking like a small brace between the legs but in so small and close to the fuse that it is hardly noticable.
There might be a better way to slightly stiffen the strut and allow it to remain flexible but this works, costs next to nothing and adds no significant weight.
You're going to really enjoy this plane. It is a sweet flyer, very stable and controllable. It flys quietly and quickly - always puts a smile on my face!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:22 PM
parkflier

If you are interested in the Nexstar mini, check this out. Looks like the speed brakes and droops are on the plane for the video.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1166]Nexstar Mini[/link]

Ken

Old 11-24-2009, 10:33 AM
dbc

The Nexstar mini in the above video is flying and landing much slower than mine without the droops and speed brakes. This video makes it look more like you'd expect from a trainer. Apparently the character of the plane changes significantly with the training aids in place. This is ideal as it allows you to advance to a more capable plane after learning with the aids.
Flew 5 batts yesterday with mine. Got an hour of additional stick time and really enjoyed the little sucker. Practiced light crosswind landings and the plane handles cross input from ailerons/rudder very nicely. If your skills are up to it, the plane will crab into the crosswind and straighten just as you flare for the touchdown!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:21 AM
phillipmorris

Curious if anyone has their own youtube on the Nexstar mini, with or without the beginner settings, mines on order, looks like a fun ship...have aileron experinece, should be fun...BEST ....
Old 12-13-2009, 08:10 AM
phillipmorris

Well its a super flyer, nearing dozen flights and hand launch in the snow, took off the wheels, and left the front on for keep the prop clear on landings works great...2/3rds throttle and your off with medium light toss, left the droops on to prevent wing stahling but no speed brakes, still flys near sport and then some, infact suprised in how quickly it covers the sky at just over half throttle, the ailerons on the rtf version are very quick, not issue for me but woud change the throw hookup to minimum by moving the aileron clevis connection out to furtherest settings...penetrates well, will take 10 MPH with ease if your use to winds and had it up with gusts just under 20 MPH not advised unless your accustom to higher winds etc...all its a winner, very pleased, tracts on the money, love to deadstick this one just keep things flying with nose drop if required then keep flaring easy to a gentle landing as myself in the snow...its a beaut...BEST
Old 12-23-2009, 04:07 AM
phillipmorris

Just an update, this mini continues to fly very well, will handle some winds, zingy for a low wing, with all the snow still enjoying the hand launch, all the surfaces set flush it rises, its touch of speed really adds to the fun flying this one, very stable behavior, favored is low passes near head high and instantly rising skyward, some throttle does an easy aileron roll, mine was ready to fly right out of the box on the COG Center Of Gravity, covers the sky quickly so be ready to turn for a better visual..have no issue with its slightly smaller size other than keeping it fairly close, I'm not gifted on landings but this one is easy, even deadstick with touch of speed by dropping the nose to keep things flying if necessary, I let it slow down just above the snow, starting to flare to reduce its speed, done correctly makes an easy touchdown...have zero damages on this one even tho balsa other than losing the battery hatch, now simply use few strips of electric tape holds everything inplace...right now this one is my prized flyer ! BEST....
Old 12-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Beachcomber

Thanks for the report, Phillip. I'm getting one for Christmas, my wife wrapped it so I wouldn't play with it ahead of time. Your posts are getting me anxious.

I flew small nitro planes 20 years ago, then got tired of driving 45 minutes to the flying field. Never got very good, but could fly a little and land without crash.

About a year ago got into electric helis because they didn't need a runway. So am hoping this "park flyer" NexStar mini can fly at a nearby soccer field. Guess I'll find out in a hurry. Planning on using speed brakes so it will slow down to fit the small space.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:16 AM
dbc

My Nexstar Mini has now logged 54 flights. Seems that I enjoy it more each time I fly it. I've flown it without so much as a scratch so far. That speaks more to it's nice flight characteristics than my flying skills! I sure wish others with this plane would post their experiences.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:16 AM
phillipmorris

Only note this one has some speed even with the droops, yet to try the speedbrakes, as mentioned before its handling is terrific...I hand launch mine due to snowy conditions and just use the nose gear to keep the prop clear on landings, its an easy lander, start to flare and let its speed reduce to a gentle touchdown...
Yes dozens of flights also and really enjoying this puppie !

For bulsa it will take light abuse, my ministick and other quick flyers now need attention, but not the Hobbico Nexstar, its intact other than again the lost hatch, my error...

Fun to launch either full or just over half throttle, full it nearly leaps out of your hand, just over half throttle perhaps slightest momentary up elevator, extremely brief as it quickly hits airspeed, still let it fly out aways for the controled turns and flight, but keep it abit close with its smaller size. Low passes are stunning, I keep it just above head high, don't let it drop too much for safety, aileron rolls are either quick or slow with inputs, some throttle performs easily. It will deadstick well just keep the airspeed again drop the nose if required, then flare for the smooth touchdown.

To me its a zingy guy with easy inputs still a gentle flyer, however prefer newbie to have a 3 channel experience before this bird as the ailerons are responsive, but no suprises, this ones high up on my list for a fun flyer...its a top choice....

Update windy and rainy with snow etc unable to fly last 3 days, Christmas day started the same then moments ago things settled slightly with winds below a gale, this puppie will handle winds if you've had prior experience with these, careful lost more than one ship with too heavy winds, but it indeed settled below 20 even below 15 MPH, so off for my first flight for days, just over half throttle hand toss went right out, no up elevator even momentarily here with the strong breezes going on, let it fly out and did hang abit with the gusty conditions but sideways to the headwinds behaved near normal, careful keep her upwind as really will get away going behind in a hurry as still above heavy breezes, made safe altitude and even managed a roll, but concerned the winds could change any moment kept it brief and near 5 minutes brought her home, performed my favored deadstick with lots of nose down to penetrate and came in correctly for a soft landing starting to flare at the last, nice windy flyer if your use to these conditions...feel much better having made a flight at last...

BEST, Merry Christmas Everyone....
Old 12-28-2009, 01:21 PM
parkflier

I wish I could fly mine more but the weather here has been anything but R/C plane friendly! All we get is rain, snow, WIND and cold. If the weather ever calms down I'll be back out on the field. So far, I've only logged three flights on my NexStar Mini.

Cheers,
Ken
Old 01-01-2010, 10:30 PM
phillipmorris

Weather becoming typical winter, temps drop to below zero, but winds have died at times, its then I venture for more fun flying, even a light snow still fly, Mini Nexstar continues to be a wonderful flyer, it will take some winds if your skills are up to it, very impressive bird with dozens of flights of pure fun...BEST - Happy New Year !

Note the colder temps can be tuff on bare hands, but the thrill of flying this little guy keeps them warm, tho soon as it lands immediately on with the gloves...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.