Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Electrics burns

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrics burns

Hi all, Ive being flying glow and gas airplanes for 3 1/2 yrs now. I got tired of the HS needle, no no the LS needle. No it was the glow plugs going south, noooo it was the glow plug ignitoers, the mess, the........Anyways I went to the dark side 6 months ago. But I seem to have a taste for big birds, all my batteries are 4S and more. Yesterday I was charging 4 packs at the same time, all big bad boys. One was full and good enough I plugged another one.Well the balancer port came out of the charger, when I tried to plug it in again there are a lot of wires in my way so I disconnected the plugs and that's when it happened, They touched!!!!!!!!There was this loud noise and spark, my Lt thumb, index and middle fingers were black and the plugs melted.Boy this hurts. The only way to keep the pain away was to put ice in my finger and it was melting fast.I am a medical doctor, but I just deliver babies and do female surgeries, I went to my hospital`s ER and my friend told me these electrical burns go deeper into your hands than other burns, he said I was lucky it was just a fraction of a second because otherwise I wouldn't be able to move the hand.Just posting my experience so other people are careful when handling these bad boys. Electrical burns are worse than gas
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26605.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1877731  
Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 AM
reelquick

Default RE: Electrics burns

Getting burned is some BAD pain. Happy it was not worse for you. I cringe looking at that.
I`m not a Dr. ,but get burned often on steam lines. The white cream with the zinc in it speeds up my recovery. RX only ?????
Hope you make a full and speedy recovery.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:39 PM
lopflyers

Yes it is RX only, it is called SIlvadene and it is better if used cold from the fridge.

Last night that didn't help either, that is when I know I was in deep doodooo

Old 04-30-2013, 07:42 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahh yes, burns hurt, electrical burns are on a higher scale. I had about 18 inches of aluminum cable vaporize in my hand. I can relate to your pain.

A little curios as to just how the wires touched and what wires were they? All of my batteries have female plugs on them so it would be hard for anything to touch them.

I was using (4) 2650 3s packs with "y" harness's to make up a 5300 6s pack. I plugged the wrong "Y" into two batteries. I heard a whistle sound and tossed the expanding pair out the garage door. So I do know it can happen.

In that tiny part of a second we loose our focus, things go bad really fast. Glad you are all right and will heal up.

Buzz.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:41 AM
lopflyers

Yes, it only takes seconds of not paying attention. The battery is connected with female plugs to the charger, I disconnected the battery from the charger but still connected to the cables, the two that plug in, those touched.

In my pain the first thing I did was to check the battery pack to see if it was ruined. LOL, it is a $200 6S 5000mAh