Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

hard plastic props vs wood

Old 08-08-2010, 07:27 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default hard plastic props vs wood

new to eflight warbirds but very experienced to fule and big warbirds .WOndering if there are choices for wood props in e-flight , I like to break a prop vs damage a motor ,
Most eflight props seem really hard and the load is placed on the prop and firewall .
Any suggestions ?
Old 08-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: hard plastic props vs wood

LDM, nice to see you on this side now.

Honestly from my own experience the E props are pretty weak, on my bigger stuff I tend to use gasser props.
Check out Hobby King for some pretty nice woodies. Got a couple of buds using them and they are quite happy with em.

I've only used wood on birds like Cubs to keep em looking right, but I noticed that they were always needing re tightened as the wood compressed.
Again on my big stuff like the Camel and DR1 I just used gas props and painted em to look like wood.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:13 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: hard plastic props vs wood

Thanks for the welcome to the eside lol I am actully addicted to two new e-birds that i have been simply toying with the last two weekends .Its makeing me want to convert everything I have in box over to e-power Only I am sitting with some really nice new in box fule power engines so not just yet lol .

I have the airfield /FMS 55" p40 sold thru Nitro planes . I did post a couple of pics in the fule forume and foamey section because i did bash it haha .Added flaps , eletric retracts and weathering and interior .Planes flys like a trainer and really looks like a P40 .
The there blade prop is rock soild and heavy .Works really well .problem is that on the airfield birds the firewall seems to me made of the compressed white board tied to the EPO foam . One nose over and it wants to separate because the pressed board takes all the load even with the prop off .

In fule I have always used wood, the props break and thats it .

Anyway thanks for the tips , I am going to look on Hobby King .
I have tons of questions if I start converting my bigger warbirds to e-power . I am loveing the ease of simply plugging and flying at the field , no break in period ect ect .