Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Recommended trainer, Hobbico?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Recommended trainer, Hobbico?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Netdewt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended trainer, Hobbico?

I am not new to RC, but I have so many hobbies I don't always stick with it. I've had a .40 trainer for probably 10 years, but I never fly it because I have nowhere to go i live close to the city, so the closest field is quite a ways away.

I just found out that my city allows electric planes in the city parks, so I am thinking about getting an electric trainer and trying again. What is a recommended model?

What about this one? $250 for everything!?
hobbico nexstar mini ep -http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXJS8

Old 07-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Netdewt

Default RE: Recommended trainer, Hobbico?

I'd like something that can take off under its own power, unless that's not possible.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Leo L

The plane that most people consider to be the best beginner plane is the HobbyZone SuperCub (just don't use the ACT feature). It can take-off and land on pavement, concrete, dirt or short grass. If you feel that you gained enough experience with your old plane to put you past the beginner rank, then consider getting the ParkZone T-28 Trojan.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:47 AM
davek

I think Leo L hit the nail right on the head. Either of those planes are excellent choices. I would also suggest that you make sure that you get the newer brushless motor version. There are still some of the older brushed motor versions floating around on Ebay and the internet. The brushed version is not as good.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Yep Leo's dead on the money. Both birds are great ones. And being foam, they will repair easily. Little glue and you're back up in the air.
The T-28 can easily be modified to add flaps for even more fun.
Going with one of these also means you can fly most of the 2.4 line of birds from Horizon, with the same transmitter, or use Spektrum receivers to run a plug and play on something else.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:31 AM
harphunt

On the T-28, do you mean the park or micro version? Thanks.

peace
Old 08-21-2010, 11:26 AM
davek

I would recommend the park version for a beginner. The larger plane is more stable and handles the wind better than a micro. It is also more visable due to its larer size. These are things that are important to a beginner.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:29 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Regardless of which plane you get, if you are new to electric flight you should read this e-book
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

Several questions.

You say you have a .40 glow trainer for 10 years, but you give us no indication of your competence with this plane. Are you a true beginner, or an experienced pilot looking for something to fly in the local park?

The one you posted seems fine for an electric trainer, if that is your experience level. I can't comment on the power level as there is no information provided by the listing.

For take-off, is there a runway or are you going to take off from grass? Often these small planes can't take off from grass unless it is very short or you put on large wheels.

Does your parks department give any guidance on what size and speed of planes they allow?

If you are looking for something to fly close to home, how about one of the bind n fly micro planes? 2.4 GHz, so there is no frequency control needed.

The Vapor can be flown in your yard on calm days. Some people fly it in the house or in a gym.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=PKZU1180

The four star is a micro plane that can do 3Dstunts, again, in your yard.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL9080

The micro P51 could probably be flown in front of the house or a large yard.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3600

If you like 'em a bit bigger, then here are some others four channel planes to consider that have excellent reputations for less experienced pilots:

Apprentice
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2725

If you would like to enjoy long relaxed flighs catching thermals, then try the Radian
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4700

Old 09-12-2010, 10:03 AM
parkflier

In regard to davek's comment about getting the newer brushless version, both the old (red trim) and new (blue trim) HZ Supercubs have the same brushed motor. It is the "HBZ7134 Motor with Pinion" which costs only about $10. However, the new HZ Supercub is powered by a 3 cell LiPo that drives the old brushed motor guite well.

The T-28's both old and come with brushless motors. However the newer one has a better ESC.

Ken
Old 09-13-2010, 08:07 AM
CGCINC
My Feedback: (1)

Well, if your wanting a fun to fly And easy to fly trainer, I recommend the Apprentice 15e.
I am totally new to RC planes and my first two planes were Cessna 182's that said "for beginner to expert".... I can fly them but the control surfaces were so quick that it makes it uncomfortable for learning. The Apprentice 15e is Awesome!!! It's smooth, easy to fly, plenty of power and just makes learning less stressful.