Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

LT-40 Motor

Old 09-05-2010, 08:26 AM
jhatton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default LT-40 Motor

I am planning on changing my Wife's LT-40 to Electric for my Daughter to start on. My plan is to use my retired 10S pattern packs split into 2 5S 5000 Packs for power, These batteries are no longer suitable for high performance pattern flight but should be more than enough for training or sport flying. I have a Pheonix ICE 75 but nothing for a Motor. So, what would be a good motor for this setup that will give similar performance to the 46 glow engine that is currently in the airplane? What setup have others used in the past with this airframe?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: LT-40 Motor

http://2dogrc.com/product/dualsky-xm...t-900w-46-size
Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jhatton

I am planning on changing my Wife's LT-40 to Electric for my Daughter to start on. My plan is to use my retired 10S pattern packs split into 2 5S 5000 Packs for power, These batteries are no longer suitable for high performance pattern flight but should be more than enough for training or sport flying. I have a Pheonix ICE 75 but nothing for a Motor. So, what would be a good motor for this setup that will give similar performance to the 46 glow engine that is currently in the airplane? What setup have others used in the past with this airframe?
For an inexpensive motor take a look at this one - $25 + shipping.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0_750Kv_/_600W

(More power than what you need [the motor is "rated" as .40 - .61], but will handle 3 - 6 lipo) Be advised that you will need to make accomedation for the shaft because the shaft comes out of the mounting plate end of the motor. You will either need to build a motor box or get one of the made up ones or make a protector on the inside of the fuselage so the battery does not accidently shift and hit the shaft. The prop adapter gets bolted on the end you see in the photo.

What you are actually looking for is a motor between 500 - 700 KV, between 500 - 700 watts of power (about 100 watts of power per pound of ready to fly weight) AND WILL HANDLE A 5S LIPO. The difficulty is finding a motor meeting those specs is the 5S lipo - the MAJORITY of motors that would meet your needs can only handle 3S or 4S lipo.

Hope this is of some help.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:28 AM
jhatton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well for that price it is definitely worth a try... I will order one and see how it goes
Old 09-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rule of thumb for a .46 motor would be 920W... I can't imagine an optimistically rated Turnigy (600W?... but more likely 300-400W) meeting that criterion.

Heck, my MVVS .15 is rated for ~500W!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:23 PM
jhatton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just finished two test flights with this setup... No problems flying even fairly aggressively... with the 11*7 prop I currently have I have a peak around 800 watts as measured on the ICE controller with about 150-200 required to fly a level circuit. everything is coming down at about 100 degrees after a 10 minute flight so I think everything should be good. Thanks for your help on motor choices