RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   WHAT IS THE MINIMUM WING SPAN FOR BEGINNER HIGH WING TRAINER? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/10573277-what-minimum-wing-span-beginner-high-wing-trainer.html)

warlordrc 06-14-2011 06:05 AM

WHAT IS THE MINIMUM WING SPAN FOR BEGINNER HIGH WING TRAINER?

Looking to purchase my first high wing trainer and wanted to know what is the best wing span for stability for a beginner. Thanks

Raycamaro 06-14-2011 08:09 AM

RE: WHAT IS THE MINIMUM WING SPAN FOR BEGINNER HIGH WING TRAINER?

Get a 48" Hobbyzone Super Cub. You won't have any regrets.

warlordrc 06-14-2011 11:52 AM

Thanks i'll look into it, but i prefer at least a 4 ch. trainer.</p>

TomBates 06-14-2011 01:57 PM

You won't go wrong with an E-flite Apprentice 15e. I learned to fly with this plane and love it. I think a lot of the guys will agree with me on this one.

Tom

BEAR-AvHistory 06-14-2011 02:16 PM

Eflite Apprentice 58"ws
Senior Telemaster 94"ws
Super Senior (Sig Kadet Senior) 73"ws

In a trainer, bigger is better. More stable, easier to see its orientation & will fly very slowly so you can stay ahead of it. I fly all of them :D

blikseme300 06-14-2011 03:20 PM

Stability is important but good visibility is more so. A large plane can get small pretty quickly when flying away from you, a smaller one even quicker!

Get the largest trainer you can get. Stability and visibility will buy you time when things go pear-shaped. My eyes are not so good anymore, but I can fly the teeny micro electric aerobats quite well as I can keep them close. This is because I practised a lot using larger aircraft.

Have fun.

Bliksem

phillipmorris 06-19-2011 05:23 AM

All giving correct info, learning by yourself suggest the Super Cub, with help the 4 channels with ailerons next, larger often the better not only handling but visibility. Do yourself a favor and do the simulator first especially without any outside help. No excuse even the FMS free rc flight sim will work and tower hobbies has the FMS control box for about 26 bucks, I have one of these, trainers to low wing and helis as well as jets.

Good Luck, keep us posted on your venture.

AmishWarlord 06-19-2011 05:28 AM

70"

Stay away from .25 size cubs for your first plane! Didn't go so well for me.

Rockin Robbins 06-24-2011 01:29 PM

I'll go against the grain and say that perhaps the best single first trainer out there is the Hobby Zone Champ micro plane! Why? There is one thing a beginner needs more than anything else, assuming they have a bulletproof trainer like the Hobby Zone Super Cub and a short list of others. What the beginner needs is max stick time!

That means you need to be able to fly the plane whenever the opportunity arises. With a larger plane that means packing up, a trip to the local flying field, unpack, fly, pack back up, drive home. With a micro Champ you open the front door, turn on the transmitter, insert a battery in the plane, check the control surface movements, chuck the thing into the air and fly the heck out of it.

Yes you have limitations on wind velocity, but most mornings and evenings will work just fine. But your flying will be close to you in small areas. The Champ is very crashworthy when flown over grass. I think this micro forces us to rethink learning to fly and for $89.00 complete with transmitter, it just demolishes the $200 limit there for a really extraordinary learning plane.

The Hobby Zone Champ micro deserves consideration whenever first airplanes are discussed.

aeajr 07-03-2011 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: warlordrc

Thanks i'll look into it, but i prefer at least a 4 ch. trainer.</p>
Why?

Do you have a coach or an instructor?

Have you been working on a simulator?

How large of a flying area do you have?

What is your budget?

Does it have to be RTF or will you build a kit or an ARF?

If you have a large enough area and a runway Iwould say the Apprentice is OK
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2725

But my first recommendationwould be the HobbyZone Super Cub. Assuming you have no experince and no help, Iwould say you have a MUCHhigher probability of success with the Super Cub.