RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Matt "superstar" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/1154495-matt-%22superstar%22.html)

rone 09-22-2003 06:18 PM

Matt "superstar"

Matt in your reply to CAZ you mention the superstar ep from hobbico. I am just starting out but I biught one of these to have when I get to that point--it was very cheap. The fellow I got it from ran it into a building while taxing it and ruined the motor. He kept the battery and gave me another used 600 speed motor he had. My question is do you think there may be a better motor, prop, battery combo for it than the one it comes. any ideas appreciated

Rone

Done the best I could

Matt Kirsch 09-23-2003 06:55 AM

RE: Matt "superstar"

Dude, you nearly gave me a heart attack! I've been a bit overzealous in participating in this forum, and I was beginning to worry that I might start looking like a "know it all." I thought you were posting a complaint.[sm=bananahead.gif]

Don't worry, I don't know it all, I just remember it all, or remember where I saw the answer, and can type really really fast :D

Anyway, I remember seeing the answer on Ezone, but maybe someone else here knows. I believe the battery was a large 7 or 8-cell 1700-2400mAh, the motor was a Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem Reverse, the gearbox was a Great Planes GD600.

I just wish I could remember the gear ratio and prop size :(

If you go to Ezone and find the answer, you gotta promise to come back and post what you learned :)

Greg Covey 09-23-2003 02:48 PM

Rone,

You can use either the Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem Reverse motor or the Kyosho Endoplasma motor to replace the fragile stock Speed 600 motor. The Kyosho car motors are very robust and inexpensive.

Depending upon the motor used, prop size, and desired cell count, you may wish to use 6-8 cells.

One example is the Kyosho Endoplasma, 7 cells of 1500-1700 NiCd, 4.6:1 ratio GD-600 gearbox (10T pinion), and an APC 12x8 e-prop.

Another example is using a Magnetic Mayhem motor, 2.5:1 ratio gearbox, APC 11x7 e-prop, 7-cells 1700-2400mAh NiCd.

Note that the Endoplasma setup will produce more power but also draws more current...which means shorter flights. Keep the Magnetic Mayhem setup to about 20-22amps.

Good luck!

rone 09-23-2003 03:01 PM

thanks for the replys. I found this posted by lvrcflyer on e-zone sounds great!
"- Kyosho Endoplasma 16 BB motor ($19.99 Towerhobbies.com)
- Great Planes GD 600 gearbox ($12.99 Towerhobbies.com)
- 10 tooth pinion ($5 GWMP.net - also sells motor/gear/prop above)
- APC 12x8E prop

Using the stock 7 cell battery pack, this combo pulls 18 amps, with 7.6v at the pack and delivers 138 watts. The stock motor/prop on the same motor pulled 25 amps and about 150 watts. However, the Endo set up delivers nearly the same speed, but 33% more thrust! With the stock 7 cell pack and Endo system, the plane is in the air in around 35 feet off of grass. Climb is excellent, and it can do multiple loops from level flight. The stock power system works ok, but the Endo really brings this trainer to life. If you change the stock ESC to a Great Planes 50 amp unit, you can also use 8 and 10 cell packs. With 10 cells, you have the same power system as the Endo which will deliver enough thrust to pull the EP into a vertical hover!

Total weight of the EP ready to fly with the Endo and stock 7 cell pack is 46 ounces. With a 10 cell CP1700 pack, it goes up to 50.1 ounces, but with over 55 ounces of thrust @ nearly 40 amps, thats a hot-rod trainer!!!

Flight times were about 5-6 minutes on the stock motor/prop/batt, but were up to 6-8 minutes with the Endo combo. However, we wanted more flight time!

We replaced the stock 7 cell pack with a 2s4p pack of Thunder Power 1950 mah cells. The total pack weight was 11.1 ounces, but it had 7800 mah!!! The stock battery only had 2100 mah and weighed 12.3 ounces.

With the Astro whattmeter in hand, we put the LiPo pack to the test. Suprisingly, it not only weighs less and has nearly 4 times the capacity, but it delivered more power! It pulled 19 amps at 7.7v and 150 watts. A tad bit more than the stock 7 cell pack...

Performance was excellent! Take off roll was around 25 feet and climbout was very brisk. It would do multiple loops from level flight and flew solid. The first flight was 20 minutes split between my dad and myself sitting in chairs We had to take a break for a few minutes after landing, then we went up for another 20 minutes!!! Finally, it was getting windy, dark and cool so we put in another 10 minutes.

Total flight time was 50 minutes!!! Pack voltage was 7.5 so we were close to the end of the pack but still had very good power. We could have stretched flight time to an hour, but we goofed around a lot earlier in the flight with mild aerobatics and it was getting too hard to see the airplane."

Greg Covey 09-23-2003 03:08 PM

Notice that everything is priced out with a place to get it but the Thunderpower pack.

Typically, you don't mix low end motor/gearbox components with an expensive Lithium pack reguardless of the manufacturer.

I would stick to NiCd or NiMH cells on your initial setup.

Matt Kirsch 09-23-2003 03:37 PM

As long as you get an adequate speed control (e.g. Great Planes C-50, or another ESC capable of at least 40 Amps), you can use any Sub C pack in the 7 to 10 cell range, and get an extreme range of performance:

7 cells: slow and sedate
8 cells: not bad...
10 cells: bring an extra pair of underpants to the field! ;)

rone 09-23-2003 05:14 PM

heres the battery cost and specs ane web site

TP7800-2S4P NOW SHIPPING Thunder Power High Performance LiPo Electric Flight Pack $139.95
7800mAh, 2S4P (7.4V) with 14 guage wires
Rating: 4C Avg Discharge
Output: 7.4V Norminal, 7800mAh
Applications: Sub C replacement
Dimensions/wt: 50mm x 125mm x 28mm (306gm)
www.thunderpower-batteries.com

rone

done the best I could