RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   I am new? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/1465403-i-am-new.html)

PLANE JIM 01-25-2004 02:29 PM

I am new?

I am new to electric-I am accomplished with gas and glow and also building-not bragging but trying to let you know my background-I have been given a cermark playboy ARC electric-I need help in choosing what motor,gearbox,batteries,speed controller,-you know the million questions that I have-the instruction paper is not very detailed-it just states CEM-05 motor and a 7 cell battery (800 or 1000 mah). To tell you what I do not know-I did not realize that electrics use speed controllers-I am pretty green at this-never owned anything electric-also someone told me that when your motor dies because of no current you have no flight control. Please help me and tell me what you would use and what servos (2) you would use and what electric set-up works the best-here are the dimensions of the airplane=wingspan is 6 feet and the chord is tapered with a undercamber wing-fuse length is 3 feet and 3 inches at widest point-three channel no ailerons lots of dihederal. the frame work appears extremely light. If you know some suggestions share them with me please. It also states it needs a 2.5-1 gear with 11-7 prop

shams42 01-25-2004 05:33 PM

RE: I am new?

If you can get an accurate weight for the airframe as well, a measure of the wing area, and your performance expectations for the plane, we can be a lot more helpful in steering you toward some appropriate power systems. (IE, if you want glow-like performance, you're probably going to have to go brushless...)

Having said that, your speed controller will kill power to the motor when the battery gets low, but you still have power to the servos and can make a dead stick landing.

Matt

Dr Kiwi 01-25-2004 11:15 PM

That "Playboy" appears to be the same as the one offered by both Aveox and Spirit of YesterYear - span 67.5", wing area 571 sq. in, wing loading 7.5-9.5oz/sq. ft., weight 30-38oz.

An '05' motor is, I think, the same as a Speed 500-600.

My suggestion is to send an e-mail to Kirk Massey at www.newcreations-rc ([email protected]) - he offers both those kits in his catalog, and I would assume that he could give you the best information on what to get for your aircraft to get it in the air.

Cheers, Phil

PLANE JIM 01-26-2004 12:19 AM

Great idea-they are less than 10 miles from me-I didn't even know they were there-thanks

Jim Finn 01-26-2004 07:19 PM

I build and fly electric powered gliders, trainers and warplanes. I suggest you get a computer program called "electricalc" or "Motocalc" Either of these will give you TONS of information on cell counts, types and sizes. Motor and prop selection. Stall and top speeds and expected flight times. These programs are not super accurate but do show which item ( motor, prop,battery) will change performance and aprox how much. I use electricalc but motocalc is as good. You can download motocalc to try for free. These programs are well worth the $40 they cost.

PLANE JIM 01-26-2004 11:20 PM

Visited New Creations R/C- and you were right Kirk Massey knows his stuff-great electric shop and store-real helpful and answered all of my questions-got set up with brushless motor,batt pack and esc-and Kirk showed where to install and why-and also supplied a wing he had laying around for this same kit-this shop is A+

Dr Kiwi 01-26-2004 11:45 PM

Hi Jim - I'm glad I could point you in the right direction. I've done quite a bit of business with Kirk and Matthew and they have always been terrific [I'm waiting on a package as we speak - hope it gets here tomorrow - I need the prop adapters to try out my AXI 2208 and 2212!]

Cheers, Phil