RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Slowstick full throttle nose up prob. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/1469924-slowstick-full-throttle-nose-up-prob.html)

ParkAviator 01-26-2004 07:17 PM

Slowstick full throttle nose up prob.

My Slowstick noses up too much with full throttle. I assume that this is due to the CG being to far back? If I move the wing back will that help?

I almost think this is a pretty difficult plane to ge tthe CG right on due to the fact that everything can be moved and has to be switched around to change the CG. My battery is already up against the landing gear should it go between?

I must say this is a pretty sturdy plane I have really worked it over and so far it has all been easily repairable.

Matt Kirsch 01-27-2004 08:30 AM

RE: Slowstick full throttle nose up prob.

All planes will tend to nose up as more power is applied. Increased speed means increased lift, so the plane goes up. First lesson of flying: The elevator is not the Magic Up Stick. Elevator controls pitch, but you need speed to climb, so that means increasing Throttle.

Are we talking a severe nose-up, or is the plane just climbing a little?

If the plane is very sensitive to elevator input, you may be a little tail heavy. Moving the wing back slightly will help, as will moving the battery forward. You should only do this if the plane is too sensitive for your tastes, because moving the CG forward will make the elevator less responsive and the airplane more sluggish.

For minor nose-up problems, simply add in a little down elevator. Full scale pilots are constantly changing elevator trim, so you might consider that, too. Adjust your linkages so the trim tabs are centered, then trim the elevator for level flight at whatever throttle setting you're using.

Add "down thrust" to the motor if the nose-up problem is more severe than you're comfortable with. I'm not sure how you'd accomplish this on a Slow Stick, but angling the motor downward by a degree or two helps keep the plane from climbing too much at high throttle settings.

cjalphonso 01-27-2004 03:28 PM

I found this and thought it would help, I have yet to maiden my SS, but I will probably be doing this mod, it seems to be a big problem for most. Check it out this will give you the thrust angle you want.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=111231

wesg 01-28-2004 02:27 AM

I took a 1/2" square piece of balsa, carved one end to slide into the fuse about an inch, carved the other end to slide in the motor mount with roughly 3 deg down and 3 deg right angle, and put one bolt in each end. This really helps how the plane flies although I still have to adjust my trim a little bit if using full throttle. I have nose dived into the ground with this motor mount and it just broke away, kind of like a crumple zone on a car, I didn't even bend the shaft. I set my cg so that the nose is pointed slightly down with my fingers 4 1/8" back from the leading edge under the wing. I don't like the idea of bending the fuse, even if it doesn't crease if you ever hit something head on hard it will be prone to continue bending in the direction it is already bent. It took me about 30 min to make the first one of these mounts and about 15 min to make the 2nd. This isn't my mod I picked it up from reading this site at it was really helpful to me. You might want to give it a try.
Wes

ParkAviator 02-09-2004 03:41 PM

Well, it will stall without a bunch of down elevator at near full throttle. I am used to flying real planes which don't have so much power to weight and I think that might be my problem. The thrust angle adjustment would certainly help also. Thanks!