RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   cant fly my new multiplex easystar i need advice on what im doing wrong please (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/1583362-cant-fly-my-new-multiplex-easystar-i-need-advice-what-im-doing-wrong-please.html)

Jay220 03-02-2004 02:22 PM

cant fly my new multiplex easystar i need advice on what im doing wrong please

well i have just bought a new easystar now i am currently flying a glow plane but decided to go electric cause there is a small field beside me now i went down with my plane in breezey weather just ok i tought launched it full throtle and started to make some alltitude when all of a sudden at about 20 ft off the ground it stalled and came down now i am sure it is something silly im doing wrong that i hope yous might be able to help me with. thanks jay

sargentw 03-02-2004 02:57 PM

RE: cant fly my new multiplex easystar i need advice on what im doing wrong please

Trim or COG is off.

Jay220 03-02-2004 03:02 PM

RE: cant fly my new multiplex easystar i need advice on what im doing wrong please

nope i have checked and rechecked both its like im not getting enough air speed

dano4 03-02-2004 03:38 PM

Ironically, I just logged on to type a similar post. I just bought a Sky Scooter Pro 2. Launched it, it flew a little ways, I slightly hit the elevators and it stalled. From about 12 feet up it came down and landed on it's nose. [:@] Now, when I hold it in my hand and throttle up, it just doesn't pull like it used to. I sent a e-mail to tech support, their reply was, "Check the propellers hub to make sure that the set screws that attach it to the motors/ gearbox shaft are still tight (so the propeller hub does
not loosen and spin on the motor/ gearbox shaft.)"

but I figured I'd also post the question here to see what input I get. Good luck getting it back into the air.

Dan O.

Jay220 03-02-2004 04:10 PM

well it might be a possability that are props are on backwards i have just found out

Matt Kirsch 03-02-2004 05:33 PM

dano,

You probably jammed the gearbox or bent a shaft when you slammed into the ground nose first.

Both,

Getting a full, proper charge on your battery packs is the most important factor in getting these planes to fly successfully. The charger included with the Sky Scooter is not a good charger at all. I don't know what you're using to charge the easystar battery. You really should be using a peak-detect charger, which completely charges the battery every time regardless of how discharged the battery is. Timer-based battery chargers put a fixed amount of charge into the battery, so they usually either overcharge and damage the pack, or undercharge and leave you with crappy performance.

When flying, remember that the elevator is not the magic up stick. Yanking full back on the elevator will cause the plane to stall unless you let it fly and gain some speed first.

dano4 03-02-2004 06:25 PM

Matt:

Thanks for the input. I did buy the Hitec CG340 peak charger. If I jammed the gearbox or bent a shaft, what should I do to fix it?

Thanks

Dan O.

Mikerjf 03-02-2004 07:28 PM

Ditto Matt's post. Like he said the elevator's not the magic up stick, one other thing to remember especially in the wind is to pay attention to the nose attitude. The plane may not look like it's moving, but it is, if you pull the nose up to high, it stops flying and stalls. Don't let the nose get more than 20 degrees up to climb in the wind.

Mike

Dr Kiwi 03-02-2004 08:44 PM

The problem with these direct drive, tiny prop, aircraft is that they generate very little static thrust - once the airspeed decreases they have real trouble staying in the air. A geared motor system, with a bigger, slower spinning prop, is much more forgiving. As suggested, you just have to avoid the dreaded stall!

Cheers, Phil

Matt Kirsch 03-03-2004 08:34 AM

dano4,

All you can do is take it apart and look for obvious signs of damage. The motor is held in the nose on a Sky Scooter by simple hot glue. Peels right off.