RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Aerobird Xtreme opinion please (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/3106957-aerobird-xtreme-opinion-please.html)

Chubbysdad 06-24-2005 10:19 PM

Aerobird Xtreme opinion please

Hello All I am new to the sport. I am on vacation and my brother in law has a Commander. I liked it so much that I went and got an xtreme. I know I am new to the sport and should have started out level 1 but I did catch on pretty fast. Few hard crashes. I have been flying it in NJ now but will be returning home to Florida soon and there is a constant breeze there it seems. My question is, would it better for me or should i say easier for me to goto pro mode? I have only used it in sport mode. I have been reading the forum and most everyone says go for pro mode much better control. I just dont want to make the wront decision. I have had enough crashes this week lol. Any opinions would be great.
thanks Dennis

EvolPenguin 06-25-2005 05:20 PM

RE: Aerobird Xtreme opinion please

Pro mode would give you a greater authority in wind, but try it out now when theres no wind and get used to it.

Alex

Chubbysdad 06-27-2005 02:03 PM

I didn't get around to try it in NJ but now am home just have to find time to do it. I guess there are not many xtreme fliers in here. I will have to search the forum for tips.. thanks though

EvolPenguin 06-27-2005 02:33 PM

There are, I just don't know where they all went... Summer vacation maybe ;). I'm not an aerobird flyer myself, I have the firebird xl, but what I said just seemed like common sense. Good luck!

Alex

Mountain_Flyer 07-01-2005 11:51 AM

chubbysdad,
Hey! im an ABX flier ( some times ):D

And yes .. fly in Pro Mode .. in Sport mode you just don't have enough control ( Sport Mode AKA Crash and have to buy more parts Mode... great for HobbyZone .. bad for you :D )

the ABX is a nice flying plane though .. a bit "extreme" for a beginner pilot imo.. Its a "graceful Flying plane not a twitchy flier so if you can keep it in one piece for 15 or 20 flights you will actually grow to like it .. allot .. my abx is my lawn chair plane .. being its forgiving and easy to fly once you get use to it (and the batteries last a long time) so you will find that a lawn chair comes in handy ;)

Zebalon5 07-08-2005 06:16 AM

Hello, I agree with Person X, I started off with AB Callenger. After flying it for about a week I went out and bought the extreme. Both are pretty easy to fly, The Challenger being a little slower and quicker to turn. Definatley a good trainer, I started fly on it about a month ago. I'm not sure that the extreme has that good of flight times with the supplied battery pack though, I only seem to get about 12 min. with it. I also have the 3000ma. pack and that will let me fly for about 35min. at 3/4 thottle. The challenger gives about 15min. on the stock packs and 25min. on the upgrades. I would suggest either of the two to start off with, just remember to throw that extreme pretty hard the first few flights untill you get a hang off it.

Matt Kirsch 07-08-2005 07:48 AM

Jeez, ONLY 12 minutes??? :D

That's phenomenal considering the technology being used. Back in the "olden days" you were lucky if you got 5 minutes of wallowing, underpowered flight with a 540 car motor and 7-cell car pack (exactly what's in the ABX). That's why electrics got a bad reputation, and why some old-timers still "poopoo" electrics.

enufwind 07-21-2005 01:47 PM

I learned to fly with an Xtreme and had many unnecessary crashes until I started using the ProMode. Unless it is completely calm and the plane is trimmed perfectly there is not enough contol in sport mode.

I recommend putting a bit of foam safe glue around the v-tail control horns to take out the slop that develops with rough landings. Also check and recheck the trim with the motor off and on before taking off as many times I've thought everything was trimmed out fine and then had disasterous results.

It should do OK in stiff winds if you are conservative and don't fly too close to the ground.

With the stock setup I've enjoyed thermalling indefintely on several occasions and typically 20 minute flights with throttle management.

You might find this post of mine useful someday...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3184823/tm.htm