RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   New to electric - recommendations (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/3501563-new-electric-recommendations.html)

scratchpc7 10-29-2005 12:31 PM

New to electric - recommendations

So...After many years of flying glow, 2 and 4 stroke, I broke down and finally got an electric. Bought an Ultrafly PC-9. I don't want to spend money on an ESC for the brushed Falcon 400 motor that came with it. I am wanting to go brushless with a Phoenix 25 ESC. North East Sailplane has a Himax 2025/4266 with the ESC and I was looking at that for a possibility.

Would this be a good choice?
What gear ratio and prop would be best?
I do plan on going with the Lipos.

Any other recommenations?

Thanks

Doug

Matt Kirsch 11-11-2005 02:58 PM

RE: New to electric - recommendations

Sorry for the delayed response...

Anyway, Tower Hobbies rates this plane at 19oz, so the Himaxx 2025-4266 would be an appropriate choice, with a 3S LiPoly pack, or a 10-cell NiMH. With this ratio, you'll need a pretty large prop, say a 10x8. If ground clearance is a problem for a prop that big, you may want to go with a lower ratio and a smaller prop.

BBAGBY 11-15-2005 10:08 PM

I have always been a fan of R/C planes. In my teens I built a lot of control line planes but never did fly one. I think I was more into the construction than the flying. Now that I am much older and time is not a problem, I would like to learn to fly, electric prefered, as well as build a larger kit. I have tried flying a couple of the hobbyzone planes, but the wind seems to really play havoc with them. So I have 2 main questions. I need recomendations on a RTF Electric trainer plane to learn to fly while I am building my plane.
My second question is I am very interested in the Dare Stinson Voyager #529EL Kit. I have had some building experience but it has been quite a few years ago. Can anyone give me input on this kit?

wickedcasey 11-19-2005 09:29 AM

if you are looking for an electric rtf trainer plane i recommend the parkzone typhoon 3d. it has dual rates so when you get used to it hit the switch and really crank up the throws. i bought one and this thing is a blast. and after you get tired of the body take the electrics out and stick them in something else, i did i stuck mine into the ultrafly bae hawk.you cant touch 6 channel transmitter and reciever and BRUSHLESS motor and esc for the price of $219 what a deal

jmir 11-19-2005 06:56 PM

If you're going to learn how to fly with an electric, maybe the Typhoon would be too much to handle to start with. That's a 4-channel, 3D plane.

You may want to start with something like the J-3 Cub by Parkzone. It's also an RFT and it is a tough. slow flyer that can handle those crashes and rough landings while you are learning.

I started with the J-3 Cub about a year ago and it is still one of my favorite planes ( I now have five). My last purchase was the Typhoon and I'm still learning how to hover with it. It's not that easy!

Hope this helps.

BaldEagel 11-29-2005 05:37 AM

Have a look at the Ultrafly PC Thread.
Mike