RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Put your name and number on your airplane? Good idea or bad? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/3966420-put-your-name-number-your-airplane-good-idea-bad.html)

Barry2 02-27-2006 09:37 AM

Put your name and number on your airplane? Good idea or bad?

I have read some comments in this forum saying that it is a good idea to put your name and number on your airplane so that if it flies away, someone might return it to you. I was just wondering if that is a good idea or not. Clearly it could help recover the airplane, but there is a downside as well. Unfortunately in today's society, it seems like there are a lot of people willing to take advantage of others. It seems possible that someone could recover a lost airplane and then claim (rightly or wrongly) that the plane caused some damage and try to extract a large sum of money from the airplane owner. If the plane really did cause damage, then the pilot should pay for that. But I would be worried that someone would make false claims.

So the upside is that it could help recover your airplane, and the downside is that someone got drunk and totalled their car and then found your plane and claims that your plane flew in front of them while driving. If there was any injury or loss of life involved, I hate to think of the dollar amount that could be claimed. This is just an example and maybe a far-fetched one, but there are any number of ways that someone could claim damage.

I know that you can be insured against this kind of thing and that the AMA and similar clubs provide that with membership, but it still seems like inviting trouble. Maybe it is best to let a lost model stay lost?

twmoody 02-27-2006 09:42 PM

RE: Put your name and number on your airplane? Good idea or bad?

If you belong to the AMA their rules require that you have your Name and Address on every plane you fly. I think it is totally irresponsible to not have your name and address on every plane. It might get the plane back for you but more important, if it causes any damage or injury you can be contacted. If you do not identify yourself on the plane and it does injure someone or damage their property it would be no different than hit and run in a car accident IMO.

Tom Moody

Donn27 02-27-2006 10:37 PM

I am new to electrics and am thinking about purchasing a Hobbico Super Star EP ARF w/ailerons from Tower Hobbies. I also want to place this aircraft on floats. As indicated in their description of the components of this kit, I am wondering since I intend to put it on floats, will the motor called out in the parts listing be sufficient for this aircraft on floats. Also I would like to have a Li-Poly battery instead of Ni-cad.
Can you give me any suggestions on this set up?

bdavison 02-27-2006 11:12 PM

The AMA does require your name and address to be posted on your airplane. If you have an AMA membership, they will cover any legal issues you might have as a result of your plane doing any damage...to person or property. Thats one of the best things about the AMA is the insurance and legal help. If you have AMA membership, its a good idea to put it on your plane. It can help you recover an aircraft, and helps any potential damage sufferers to recover their losses should your plane do any damage.

Hatty 02-28-2006 07:11 PM

It wouldn't hurt. Whenever you take your plane up, you are responsible for it and the damage that it could do. But, the chances of it hitting someone and seriously injuring them is pretty slim (as long as you fly in a safe area and use your head). But, the chance of the plane getting away from you is much higher. Save yourself the cost of the plane and put your info on it.

Mohney 02-28-2006 07:21 PM

I wish I would have put it on my plane. I may have recovered it by now!!! First flight, brand new, motor and all!! Live and learn!