RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Commander 2 vs Freedom (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/4003288-commander-2-vs-freedom.html)

Starmoon 03-07-2006 11:28 AM

Commander 2 vs Freedom

I crashed my freedom after several secs of the MOST FUN I'VE EVER HAD. The tail is in pieces and the boom broke in half. I wonder if the plane was too fast for me and wonder if the Commander2 would be a better plane......

one2lose2 03-07-2006 11:48 AM

RE: Commander 2 vs Freedom

I don't think so. I have flown both. The Commander is only 2 channel, the Freedom is 3 channel. That means that you can control altitude with a control surface instead of only with the throttle.

Fix the Freedom and go to the pro mode. The ACT would interfere with what I wanted the plane to do. I had much more control with it off. Until you have significant practice, fly when there is little or no wind in the biggest field you can find. Then you will see what the plane will do, rather than what the wind makes you do to keep it in the air.

I think there is a long learning curve that includes crashing and repairing till you can really go up in the air on windier days. I think that you will get creative in making repairs. I think that I now have a full fledged addiction to this sport. Good luck.

Starmoon 03-07-2006 12:02 PM

Thanks for the response....Elaborating on damage to my freedom...the transmitter wire has been cut off so that it is now inside the boom. Will this affect range TOO much? I have the other parts on order...

Barry2 03-07-2006 12:54 PM

If you feel like the Firebird Freedom is a little too fast and a little too much for you to handle at this point, I think it would be a good idea to buy a $30 Air Hogs Aero Ace from Target or Toys R Us and just have a blast flying that thing around for a while. It goes slow, takes very little space to fly and can be crashed repeatedly with no damage to the plane or whatever it hits. Control is 2-channel. It is just a tiny 9 inch foam plane that weighs about 2 ounces. Once you get the hang of flying that, you should be able to fly the Freedom much more easily. And if it saves you just one bad crash on the Freedom, that would pay for it.

Leo L 03-07-2006 01:20 PM

I believe you meant the receiver wire, not the transmitter wire. The receiver's wire is made a specific length to correspond to the frequency of the radio equipment. You cannot fly the plane with a damaged or broken wire. I suggest that you contact Horizon Hobby, either by phone or on the internet, and explain to them what happened. They have a very good record for supporting their equipment. They might be willing to repair your plane for a nominal cost.

Starmoon 03-07-2006 01:43 PM

No flying without the exact right length reciever wire??? darn!!! Thanks for informing me though...

one2lose2 03-08-2006 09:25 AM

You can solider the cut wire back on. Just try to keep it to it's original length as best as you can. A loss of an inch should not effect it that badly. Watch for your range to be slightly less. You do not sound as though you have gotten anywhere near the limit so far. Be sure to do a check of the controls with the antenna down on the ground from 50 - 100' to make sure it will work right. Then remember to extend the antenna on the transmitter to fly.

Starmoon 03-08-2006 01:32 PM

ok...when my new parts come I'll try it...I'll watch Range. Unfortunatly, the piece of wire was lost...I'll be operating with just the wire that runs the length of the boom--the "extra" hanging out the back was lost, as well as 1/2" inside the boom.

Thanks so much for the help RCuniverse users.....

As a foot note, I fouind my plane crashes on its maiden--didn't have the wings flush with the fuse. :(

But this hobby is soooooo much fun, I look forward to getting my parts and getting back in the air.