RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Can't make Yellow Bee fly. Help! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/4304482-cant-make-yellow-bee-fly-help.html)

Patrick8475 05-22-2006 10:13 AM

Can't make Yellow Bee fly. Help!

Hello all, I was wondering if someone can help me figure out what I am doing wrong. When I tried to put my Yellow Bee in the air, it went straight up, stalled and crashed. The wings broke, but I used packaging tape to put them back together. When I tried to fly it again, it will start out, and then Nose dive into the ground. Is the tape to heavy? Any advice will be appreciated.

Flypaper 2 05-22-2006 01:51 PM

RE: Can't make Yellow Bee fly. Help!

Sounds like you may be throwing it upwards and stalling it. Try giving it full power then push it gently forward like it was a paper plane. Let it accelerate on its own, just guide it straight till it climbs a bit before you turn it.

hellyeh 05-22-2006 03:39 PM

You could also try loosening off the front screw on the rear wing and tightening down the rear screw to change the incidence angle .

mclintock 05-22-2006 07:46 PM

Be prepared for the thing to turn left, more than it wants to turn right- so launch it with more open space to your left than your right..

If you have a hard surface it will ROG ok, just again, it will veer left due to the torque of both motors, unlike the aero ace, the yellow bee has both motors turning the same way..

packyj 05-22-2006 09:09 PM

Check your v-tail for damage. You mentioned considerable damage to the wings so I am guessing the fragile vtail has taken some as well. My firebird freedom simply will not fly with a damaged tail.

Patrick8475 05-23-2006 07:26 AM

Thank you for the advice, I went home last night and adjusted the tail wing with a shim, did a test glide, and it took off from the ground. Although when I tried to hand launch it just plummeted to the ground.

Crash Bandicoot 05-28-2006 04:07 PM

I completely coated my wings with a layer of clear packing tape to make them last longer and it worked flawlessly. Try it out!

you can see mine on my profile

Crash B.

jkkrobbins 07-05-2007 01:39 PM

Some people may not agree, but I have enough experience with planes like this to tell you - trust me, the solution to your problem is to trash this plane. Like most cheap 2-CH planes, it does not do well with more than the slightest breeze. The turns are upredictable at best. And the big whammy - you have no elevator control. This plane is simply too flimsy. It's OK for a child to smack into the side of a bulding or tree. But it's a throw away.

Cut your losses. Spend no more time or money on this plane or anything like it. Purchase a 3-CH foamy such as the Multiplex Easy Star. Much more durable and reliable. Start by practicing short flights and getting used to actually having some elevator control. Do some tosses into the wind with no throttle and practice gliding. You'll see the effects of adjusting the CG. (Which by the way is the cause of the yellow bee issue - you probably started tail heavy then stalled and you had no control - no way to keep the nose down.)

Up front, it will cost you more, but in the long run, you'll have something that lasts longer and reusable equipment. Else, you'll end up buying another cheap 2-CH toy and getting the same results.

ih8nixon 07-06-2007 08:40 PM

I had 2 Yellow Bees as my first planes. I really enjoyed them and went so far as to make 3 extra battery packs out of NiMh AAA's. If you follow Crash Bandicoot's advice your wing will stand up to some spectacular crashes you should use packing tape on the tail at its base as well Packing tape is very light and does not really affect the plane that much . I would strongly advise against shimming the tail unless it is extremely battered usually the adjusting the screws will take care of most of the trimming for this plane. This plane requires you to be gentle with the throttle. If you try to continually give it full throttle it will porpoise and crash and if you try to turn too hard you will death spiral.

Also I have had the plane up in winds as to where the plane would hover in place so you can fly them in some decent winds after you have some experience. The only reason I had two of them was I let my friends girlfriend try to fly it on her first flight she put it into the top of an unclimbable fifty foot tree.
some other advice is to use super glue on the foam in the wing when it breaks before you tape it the foam will melt a little bit but the superglued area will be stronger than it was before. When you break a prop it can be fixed by super-gluing it back together.

Just remember not to get discouraged, and have fun.