RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Compatability of Receivers with Brushed and Brushless Systems (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/4372573-compatability-receivers-brushed-brushless-systems.html)

Sailplane 06-09-2006 05:01 PM

Compatability of Receivers with Brushed and Brushless Systems

Hi to all,

I have a dual conversion, FM 7channel receiver. Can this receiver be used with both brushed AND brushless systems?

Thanks,
Ernie
"Sailplane"

jdetray 06-09-2006 05:46 PM

RE: Compatability of Receivers with Brushed and Brushless Systems

Hi Ernie,

Yes. The receiver does not care whether your power system is brushed or brushless -- or internal combustion for that matter!

- Jeff

Sailplane 06-09-2006 08:18 PM

Jeff,

Thank you for your prompt reply. After I posted the compatibility question and before I received your reply, I decided to obtain the specs of the receiver from the web. The receiver is a Futaba FP-R127DF, dual conversion, FM, 7channel job. On its side is an unbroken circular seal printed with "32/72.430 MHz" (channel 32?). The FCC ID is: AZP4VKP-R127DF72. I bought the receiver from a guy that was a little more advanced in RC than I was, and I knew nothing about RC electrinics at the time. I still don't know that much about it now.

The web results really confused me. The info stated that the receiver should be used with a FM, dual conversion, 50 MHz, Futaba receiver crystal. The info also indicates that a Ham channel 00 to 09 crystal should be used in the receiver. Can you or someone else straighten me out on this discrepancy

jdetray 06-09-2006 09:39 PM

Your receiver will work on either the 72 MHz band or the 50 MHz amateur radio (Ham) band.

The "32/72.430 MHz" sticker tells you that the receiver was originally supplied with a channel 32 crystal in the 72 MHz band. With most receivers, you can swap the crystal with another to change the channel on which the receiver operates.

If you wanted to use it on the 50 MHz band, you would use a 50 MHz crystal. You must be a licensed radio amateur to use the 50 MHz band.

- Jeff

Sailplane 06-09-2006 09:50 PM

Jeff,

Many thanks. You really know your stuff! That really had me confused. If you don't mind, I may be bugging you from time to time with more newbe questions...you've been a great help!

Thanks again,

Ernie

jdetray 06-09-2006 10:00 PM

There are lots of folks here that know a lot more than I do! But I'm glad I could help.

- Jeff

Gary Hoorn 06-10-2006 08:47 AM

If you wanted to use it on the 50 MHz band, you would use a 50 MHz crystal. You must be a licensed radio amateur to use the 50 MHz band.

- Jeff
A receiver designed and tuned for the 72mhz band cannot be operated on the 50mhz Amateur Bands. It would not function with a simple crystal change.
Gary

jdetray 06-10-2006 10:29 AM

Hi Gary,

Futaba specifies that receiver as follows:

Receiver FP-R127DF
Receiving frequency: 50 or 72MHz band

This statement surprised me. Perhaps they sold two versions of it, one tuned for 50 MHz and one tuned for 72 MHz. It's strange that they didn't use two different model numbers.

- Jeff

aeajr 06-13-2006 12:22 AM

What you need to know about receivers
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...2964#post72964