RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Easy Star RR Questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/4537519-easy-star-rr-questions.html)

dsmdan95 07-24-2006 03:58 AM

Easy Star RR Questions

First off is this the Easy Star RR verison? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMYK8&P=ML Don't the servos and stuff come with it? Is it a typo?

Ok first question what ALL comes with the Easy Star RR?

I have a radio from a Walkera Drangonfly #5 co axis heli that I plan on using which I believe is 4 channel and 72Mhz. Should work right?

Will I need to buy a reciver? I looked at the GWS ones for 19 bucks on tower hobby whats the range on those? What would be the best and cheapest I can buy with a good range? (If i need one)

Dose the battery come with it ? if not where is the best place to pick up a 7 or 8 cell?

I have this 15 min charger that i use to charge 7.2 s for R/C cars will this work? Its AC/DC auto quick charger made by Panda
Says it charges 6 cell Ni-Cd in 15 min 7 in 20 think it would work with 8 cell?

I guess thats it for now. Can anyone else think of anything i would need ?

Thanks for your help Dan

AJ1202 07-24-2006 12:46 PM

RE: Easy Star RR Questions

Dan I am gong to try to cover the basics here and I hope it helps
1st the plane your looking at is a ARF this means almost ready to fly, it only comes with the plane,motor,servo linkage and a couple other little things,, to make this plane fly you will need servo's 2 of them a ESC and RX as well as a battery, I think your charger would be fine for nimh batts as long as it is capable of charging up to 9.6 batts (8cell) as to your radio working ,, not sure, you would have to determine if it's compatible with other components and whether it is poss or neg shift. OK lastly I think the price on that is a little on the high side, My LHS has the same ARF for 65.00 on the shelf
On a bright note I understand these planes fly great and are good trainers
Good Luck

av8torjim 07-24-2006 05:58 PM

AJ,

I think the version you are referring to is the Easy Star ARF kit. Multiplex just introduced the RR version, which stands for "receiver ready".

Dan,

I am considering one for my 9-year old son's first plane and am also confused by the Tower listing. It says it's a "receiver ready" plane, meaning to me that it has everything except the receiver installed, or at least included. For example, the motor, the ESC and the servos are all there, just not the receiver. The Tower listing says you need an ESC, servos and a battery. I think they copied the needed items list from the ARF kit. I don't think the battery is included with the RR version. My LHS doesn't have one yet to check. The Tower price is $109.99 for the RR and $59.99 for the ARF kit. Not bad if it includes the ESC, servos and battery but not that great a deal if it doesn't have the battery. It saves about $2 over the standard Tower prices if you use the Multiplex ESC and Hitec HS-55 servos.

Jim

kurtstock04 07-24-2006 10:56 PM

Here is what I gathered:

Easy Star ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) contains the model and the Permax 400/6V motor.
Easy Star RR (Receiver Ready) contains in addition to above 2 MPX Tiny Servos and the ESC X-08.
Easy Star RTF (Ready To Fly) contains everything above plus a 600mAh battery, Hitec TX, a Hitec RX and a delta peak charger.

With the ARF version you have some easy work to do like installing the servos, some gluing, etc.
RR and RTF version are almost completely assembled, I guess all you need to do is to superglue the elevator and you are done.
Guess which one you order depends on what components you have or plan to acquire. I agree, TowerHobbies' description is confusing.

I do own the Easy Star, I bought the ARF version for my 9yo son, but it is such a nice plane I enjoy to fly it myself. Great plane in any version!

Claus

dsmdan95 07-25-2006 01:33 AM

So, I will need a receiver and battery ? any suggestion's?

av8torjim 07-25-2006 12:47 PM

Dan,

I just noticed that the back cover ad in this month's Backyard Flyer is a Multiplex ad that mentions the introduction of RR planes. It says that all you need is a receiver and battery. I guess that answers the question for sure. Sorry, I can't help with the battery recommendation. I'm a LiPo guy. The receiver recommendation depends on your radio. I use Spektrum for my "park flyers" so I am limited to a Spektrum receiver. If you use Futaba, JR or Hitec, you have many good options. Good luck.

Jim

brewski 07-25-2006 04:41 PM

I am a beginner with an easy. I have ~30 flights on it and love it. I also have a ton of crashes. I think after the last crash (testosterone) it is indestructable! CA glue is a must and miracle. My favorite battery is an 8 cell 1800 mah. Move it back from the nose to get CG close. I also use a 7 cell 1100 mah which is really good. I have a 7 cell AAA 650 mah and it will not fly the plane. The ESC cuts out at full throttle with it. Good luck and you will not be disappointed.

Mike001 07-25-2006 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: dsmdan95

So, I will need a receiver and battery ? any suggestion's?

Hi Dan,
I have the Easy Star kit/arf version and I love it. So far, I have 11 flights with it. It's a very tough airplane, as brewerjk said, but it's also a blast to fly.

I use a 7 cell 900 mAh battery pack I took from my hobbico ventura. It's worked fine so far. My receiver is my brother's old 127df from futaba.

Good luck!
Mike