RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   good backyard arf kits? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/4792476-good-backyard-arf-kits.html)

sputnikxxx 09-25-2006 07:40 PM

good backyard arf kits?

I want to get my son a decent flyer that can be flown in a small amount of space... like a backyard... I dont have enough room to fly the ss in the backyard.... like the size of an airhog... but I guess my question is are there any arf kits... something I can get for around $30.00 I really dont want to buy xtra transmitters if I dont have to

aeajr 10-19-2006 10:13 PM

RE: good backyard arf kits?

You are asking for a very specific recommendation while providing very very general info.

How big is the space?

Is it windy or calm?

$30 will get you an air hog - RTF and that is about all.

If you want something ARF for $30, then you will have ot add $50-$100 in electronics plus the radio. Then y ou need batteries and a charger.

So, what is your real budget.

sputnikxxx 10-22-2006 10:26 PM

yes.. I realize that..... I have servos's esc's transmitter's receiver's that is why I want arf... I already have airhogs... and basically small back yard.. is a small back yard... put it this way too small for a slow stick but big enough for a air hog... and those things get quite boring after you get the hang of them

aeajr 10-22-2006 10:35 PM

So how big is this small back-yard?

Give me clear space then maybe what it would be if I had it above the trees.

You can fly a Slow Stick or a Slo-V in a basket ball court.

sputnikxxx 10-22-2006 10:41 PM

I have a slow stick and it ends up hitting the trees... in my back yard.. it is not as big as a basket ball court.... I would say right under the size of a basket ball court.. and there is woods all the way around my yard

AJ1202 10-23-2006 07:12 AM

Wow, that's going to be a near impossible quest to fill, you might want to look into the Cox micro warbirds as they are very small but they require some flight experience to handle, the corsair being the easiest of them to handle, then again if your any good at building you could pic up one of the newer air hog planes and mod it to a 3 channel flyer, the new F-16 looks big enough to mod. Do you not have a scool or park near by you can go fly in, or even a big feild somewhere that you could ask the owner for permission to fly in
just as an example one of the feilds I fly at is the land used for county fairs and at one end the county uses it to store thier equipment
Good Luck

sputnikxxx 10-23-2006 12:22 PM

well we have a park near by but I got introuble for flying there.. I was told that it was dangerous for me to fly my plane in the park.... there was also a field out by a mill I was flying at that was plenty of space... but then they told me I had to leave also... but I will drive around and see if I can find somewhere and then ask them for perm...

NeveSSL 10-23-2006 05:29 PM

I think in the case of flying, it may be better to ask permission instead of forgiveness. ;)

Brandon

AJ1202 10-23-2006 08:01 PM

Brandon is right, the best way to go about it is to find a couple places and then find the owner and ask them if they would mind if you fly your plane there, tell him you are looking for a safe place to fly, just make sure you tell them you would not make or leave any kind of mess, and then live up to it ;):D. A school usualy offers a good place to fly with the baseball or football feilds. Good luck finding a good place to fly

sputnikxxx 10-23-2006 11:52 PM

well no I wouldnt just pull over and fly without asking... problem is around here the only open fields I have found so far are cow pastures.... and they are full of mooers lol... but I finally fould a large field I could fly in now I just need to get some planes

AJ1202 10-24-2006 04:11 AM

That's good to hear sputnik :D, glad you found somewhere, now go get those planes and have fun :)