RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Motor mount help? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/4801235-motor-mount-help.html)

treedog 09-27-2006 08:46 PM

Motor mount help?

1 Attachment(s)
Can some one help/explain how to mount this tiny motor to the firewall.
ty Td
There are no mounting holes around the bell shaped part to attach screws to

Slo-V Flyer 09-27-2006 09:11 PM

RE: Motor mount help?

Actually, that is a common inexpensive motor lots of people have.

Mounting it is not that hard. There is usually a plastic "gearbox" like stick-mount that comes with or is available for those motors, and you mount the base of the motor (the flat round part) to the gearbox using 3 screws (or at least 1). Then you can mount the gearbox onto the stick on the firewall if so equpped.

Failing that, I would suggest you take 3 tiny screws w/ nuts preferrably, and mount the base of the motor (the round flat part begind the shaft) to the firewall using the 3 holes it has. That's the way you can mount it directly to the firewall. ...Unless you didn't see those 3 holes already?

I'm hoping someone else will read your question and further elaborate with pictures or something to clarify.

BTW, what kind of plane/brand/model is this motor going to be used on?

[bEdit:][/b] Notice the tiny dark hex-screw on one side of the base of the motor? That holds the rest of the shaft/motor in place. I would tighten that just ot be sure, before doing anything else. Mine came a little loose in flight but thankfully I discovered that and tightened it in time.

treedog 09-27-2006 09:23 PM

Ty slo-v. this is for a mus from e-flite It has a 20 amp motor recommended. The motor came with a stick mount looking thing with holes that don't line up with that flat metal plate on the back with 3 holes in it. Can u recommend a prop setup also. for this do i need a adaptor? That shaft looks awful flimsy, about 2mm wide.

Flypaper 2 09-28-2006 06:24 PM

Loosen the setscrew and the motor will come off of the backplate. Screw the backplate to the firewall. Slide the motor back into the backplate and tighten the screw. If you want to use the stickmount, put the centre of the motor up against the hole in the stickmount just below the square part. Drill the three holes using the backplate for alignment. Most of those motors 8-4 or 8-6 props.

treedog 09-28-2006 07:58 PM

Ty Flypaper, that's got me going now. i just need advice on how too and what kind. I was afraid i would screw some thing up. My first electric install also ty slo v.
Td

treedog 09-28-2006 08:02 PM

PS. Think maybe i need to buy some spare motor shafts ? These seem awfull skimmpy? I bet 1 would break one the first hard landing at 2mm shaft size.:)