RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Tips - Hat, Sunglasses and Whatelse? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/4960912-tips-hat-sunglasses-whatelse.html)

-pkh- 10-19-2009 02:27 PM

RE: Tips - Hat, Sunglasses and Whatelse?

I've never found gloves that are thin enough to use for RC flying, yet thick enough to provide any warmth. I use fingerless gloves or "cutoff" gloves in the wintertime. They keep the main part of my hands warm, and I just fly until my fingertips start to get numb! I'll wear some warm wool or mechanics gloves when I'm not flying & to prep the plane, then switch to the fingerless gloves to fly.

I made a transmitter "mitt" that covers my hands and the transmitter, but never did use it much. It needed to be a bit little larger than I originally made it, and it was a pain to get on and off the transmitter. There are a few people that make these TX mitts and sell them on the internet, if you want to give one a try.

aeajr 01-15-2010 12:15 AM

Try winter golf gloves. These are basically insulated on the back and sides with a soft leather palm.

If it is REALLY cold, you slip a hand warmer pack into the palm.  NOW you are ready for anything!:D

aeajr 06-19-2012 12:45 PM

Water or drinks.  If you are at the field for hours and hours, bring something to drink. This is especially important when it is hot out.

Landshark67 06-20-2012 05:36 AM

Also try winter cycling gloves.

Landshark67 06-20-2012 05:49 AM

Also, wearing latex gloves under even the thinnest gloves will provide a lot of insulation. I work outside and found this very effective over large, bulky gloves.

Jetdesign 06-21-2012 06:30 AM

Staying hydrated is key to these long, hot days. Nothing beats an ice cold drink between flights on a hot day.

I just got a pair of $10 polarized sunglasses from the AMA store in Muncie, they wrap around a little and really make flying better! They're not the coolest things so I only wear them when I go flying. I got a nice full-rim hat there too, but find if it's windy that I'm better off flying without it.

Oh, and don't forget SUNSCREEN!!!

dbarnes6 07-15-2012 08:49 PM

There is this Australian brand of Liquorish that my wife keeps around the house.  Everytime I go out flying I steal the bag and it always comes back empty.  All I'm saying is if I have that candy with me then it is impossible for me to crash.  Australian liquorish = Total BAMF behind the sticks.  As long as it is the strawberry kind anyway.</p>