RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   parkzone difficulties? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/5006059-parkzone-difficulties.html)

Patchystar04 11-16-2006 11:05 PM

parkzone difficulties?

So im thinking about a parkzone warbird type plane (i know they aren't for begginers but im very low on cash for different level planes so why not start on the top.) so are these planes really SUPER difficult to fly?? I am pretty good at reverse control with my rc car (at high speeds i can spin 'er on a dime) So what are the exact reasons of why this planes is so ADVANCED LEVEL????

PS Should i get the Focke Wulf or the P-51 (and i am a guy-my name thing was my mom's idea cuz i couldn't find one that worked

Help much appreciated

jdetray 11-17-2006 12:55 AM

RE: parkzone difficulties?

The big difference is speed. Warbirds are fast. Trainers fly slower, giving you more time to react. Slower flight may also mean less damage in a crash -- and you WILL crash.

Trainers are designed to be very forgiving. For example, when you take your fingers off the sticks, a trainer will tend to return to level flight. This won't happen with warbirds. They tend to keep going in whatever direction you point them -- you have to maintain active control at all times.

I'm sure there are some pilots who can start with a warbird and make it work. You may be one of them. Whatever you decide, good luck!

- Jeff

Time Pilot 11-17-2006 02:28 AM

Had the experience of flying with a converted R/C car driver this summer. It was evident there wasn't complete transfer of skills and the high perfomance plane he was flying isn't performing any longer.

All the electronics will transfer into your next plane, so you're only out the cost of the airframe for your second plane. Trainers aren't as manly as warbirds, but I'm sure that even fighter pilots put time on a girly-plane before strapping themselves into their killing machines. ;)

AJ1202 11-17-2006 06:28 AM

IF you go with the P-51 then most likely it will end in disaster within 3 or 4 attempts at flight, this plane is very fast even stock and has a very bad stall habbit in turns and even at launch for begginers, if you slow it down and if it is below 100 ft you most likely won't be able to save it, look at the P-47 by E-Flight it is the best warbird RTF for control, it's stall rate is very low compared to all the others and cost is pretty much the same as the PZ P-51. almost everyone I know that have one say it's great, the folk wolf is nice but still has a higher stall speed than the P-47. I would suggest a nice trainer instead but if your gonna go warbird you should go with one that will give you half a chance of success, Good luck, I hope you do better than I did with my first warbird P-51,,,,(RIP) [&o]:D

jdetray 11-17-2006 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Time Pilot
... I'm sure that even fighter pilots put time on a girly-plane before strapping themselves into their killing machines.]
Absolutely! My father flew F4U Corsairs in World War II, but he started his flight training in a slow trainer!

- Jeff

Leo L 11-20-2006 12:53 PM

Put on a blindfold, stand on one foot and start juggling four glass balls. How long before you drop and break the first ball? That's what its like for someone who has never flown before to begin with a warbird. To fly a warbird, your body must be trained to react to whatever situation comes up before you brain thinks about it. If you need to think about what to do, it will be too late.

jdetray 11-20-2006 01:02 PM

Well said, Leo!

- Jeff

FMB42 11-21-2006 05:34 PM

Hello Patchy. You may want to practice on a flight simulator such as FMS. FMS is free and Gary Gunnerson has a free PZ FW 190 FMS model that you can download and install. Search "FMS" and "Gary Gunnerson's FMS models" for more info.