RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Beginner? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/5051804-beginner.html)

edalfonso 11-28-2006 10:27 PM

Beginner?

Hi folks I have been doing some home work and have decided to jump into the R/C plane hobby, I have a Blade CX Heli currently and will be jumping to a CP Pro in the summer. But I also want to fly planes, I've been told that the Park Zone Striker would be a good starter, since the fusalage is $20.00 to replace. What do you folks think? Also I want to move to warbirds/duct fan all electric after I've mastered a starter. I have no desire to mess with gas--no offense to anyone--
Thanks for the help,
Ed

jdetray 11-29-2006 12:47 AM

RE: Beginner?

The Stryker is not a beginner's plane. As a first plane, it is too fast, giving you little time to react. Your heli experience will help, but flying a plane is different from flying a heli.

There are probably people who can successfully fly a Stryker as their first plane. You may be one of them. But my advice is to take the more conventional route by starting with a slower, more forgiving, trainer type plane.

- Jeff

edalfonso 11-29-2006 12:45 PM

Jeff,
Thanks for the reply, with so much out there what do you look for in a trainer?
Ed

jdetray 11-29-2006 01:29 PM

Hi Ed-

Everyone has their favorite trainer -- usually it's the plane on which they learned to fly!

Lately, the GWS Slow Stick has been a very popular choice. It's a little larger than most low-cost foamie trainers, which is a plus. And there are endless mods that can be done to plane once you are past the learning stage.

I taught myself to fly with a GWS Pico Tiger Moth, which has the advantage of looking more like a real plane than many trainers.

Many people will recommend an all-in-one package that includes a transmitter and all radio gear. But you already have a transmitter for your heli which I'm sure can be used for flying a trainer airplane.

Hopefully, a few more pilots will join this thread with their recommendations. Or do some searching here and on WattFlyer.com. Both forums have numerous discussions on the topic of the best first plane.

- Jeff

Fliprob17 11-29-2006 01:31 PM

A high or top wing design, which allows the plane to self-correct itself, instead of constantly being on the sticks. Also allows the plane to fly easier and with less effort. And a motor that will not make the plane take off like a rocket ship ;) Take a look at the Hobbyzone SuperCub.

If you do already have a transmitter that you can use, then definitely go ARF. Something more like the SlowStick. Or if you want to push it a Cessna or Cub of somekind

Leo L 11-30-2006 09:58 AM

If you want an RTF package, go for the SuperCub. If you want to use your radio, get the ARF EasyStar or the Beaver.

Calcomputers 11-30-2006 12:35 PM

I learned on the Multiplex EASYSTAR. It is only about 60 bucks plus servos and battery if you already have a radio. It is a pusher so hard landings don't cause motor or prop problems. I taught myself with this plane and still enjoy it's lazy flight character. Once you get familiar with it, you can keep it up in the air for 20 minutes by gliding. Good luck

jakeup20 12-01-2006 04:57 PM

i learned with the GWS Beaver, i already had my own radio and servos though. I have also flown a SuperCub which was a good plane also. I defiantly put my moneys worth into the beaver, its covered in poxy and tape, but ive seen the supercub take a beating as well.....hope it helps.

intimidator_md 12-02-2006 10:54 AM

Electrifly Cub, slow stick, Parkzone Cub, hobbico skypilot or ventura, or GWS Beaver or estarter. All these planes are great flyers and can be used for mild aerobatics when the time comes. Most are made of foam so they are inexpensive and have replacement parts. Personal favs of mine are the Ventura and Cub. I've flown both and the ventura is nice cause you can get it RTF for around $100. It's a great trainer and glides nice. Also the cub is excellent too. Very forgiving if mistakes are made and has good performance right out of the box.

benbailey50 12-02-2006 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
May be another aircraft for a first time electric plane. Just like myself, could be the E-flite Cessna 182. Good luck and fly safe.

edalfonso 12-03-2006 10:28 AM

Guys,
WOW....Thanks so much for all the advice. I didn't even think about using my heli radio for my plane. Thanks all for that info. Sometimes you can't see the trees through the forest...or is the forest through the trees...? Anyway, I think I will either go with the Cub or Cessna.
Thanks,
Ed

edalfonso 12-19-2006 10:16 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the Hobbico Sky Pilot Cessna 3 channel?
Ed