RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   New to flying... need advice. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/5052100-new-flying-need-advice.html)

General Jackson 11-28-2006 11:26 PM

New to flying... need advice.

I am sure this is a common thing that happens around Christmas time... I thought by getting my 10 yr old Nephew an R/C RTF airplane it would get him outside, learn about flying, and have something to do other than video games. I looked around at some of the planes offered and tried to come up with a good plane for a beginner (I purchased - Parkflyers Cessna 182 4 channel RTF).

Then I read some more and it sounds like this electric flying stuff is way more complicated than I expected.

Then thinking, maybe it would be a good idea to get a "crash proof" one to learn on first... So, I got a Blue Star EPP 2 channel one also. But I've read that these may not really work very well.

Please give me some advice... Have I wasted my money?

Thanks!

Rubber Duck 11-29-2006 10:27 AM

RE: New to flying... need advice.

Stay with E-Flight or Hobby Zone, As these planes can be repaired if damaged. I don't know about the bird you bought, but if you can get parts your O.K. Don't waste your money on those Wal-Mart or Raido Shack planes, as once you crashed or broke a part, you have to throw if away, because you can't get parts for it.

FMB42 11-29-2006 04:59 PM

Hi Gen,
I have an "Air Phantom" 2 ch. EPP twin that, I assume, is similar to your Blue Star model. I recommend that you cycle the battery by discharging it by running it at low speed (without flying it) and then charging it as per the instructions . Do this at least 3-4 times before trying to fly it. Let the batt cool for about 10-15 mins between charge/run sessions so as to let it cool down. In other words, let it cool for 15 before charging it and 15 before running it. You should see run times of about 5 mins with good thrust. Do a few "power off" test glides to check the trim and then make any needed adjustments. These "thrust vector" control planes are not bad for beginners as long as you do not try to fly in windy conditions and have plenty of room to fly in. Following the instructions will, of course, help make your first flight a success.

General Jackson 11-29-2006 08:30 PM

Thanks for your advice hopefully my Nephew and I can learn on the crash proof one... then try the 4 ch parkflyers.

I believe I did see parts for the parkflyers but at the time I didn't think I'd be needing parts. Guess I'll be needing lots of parts afterall.

It is more to think about with electric airplanes than I first thought for sure. But maybe we'll learn something other than how planes crash. haha

General Jackson 11-29-2006 09:02 PM

Well, I just found some ratings and comments on the Parkflyer that I have... Not good news and wish I had known about this website before I bought it. It seems that the plane I bought if crashed will be hard or impossible to fix unless I buy a new part. I may just keep it in the box for a while until I get nerve to fly it. Maybe I'll sell it on ebay.

Leo L 11-30-2006 09:19 AM

Hi General,

Welcome to the contagious world of flying! If you follow some basics, you and your nephew will get hooked on a hobby that is a wonderful experience.

I am not familiar with the BlueStar plane that you bought, so I can't offer specific comments regarding it. However, here are some general comments. 2-channel planes are usually the easiest for a beginner to fly because they have the least number of variables that need to be controlled. Unfortunately, most manufacturers don't devote much effort to designing and building a good 2-channel plane, so there aren't that many good 2-channel planes available. For example, the brand Air Hogs, sold in most toy stores and department stores, sells a number of different 2-channel planes. Most of them are junk. However, their AeroAce is, without a doubt, the best "cheap" 2-channel plane on the market. It only costs $30 and comes in two body styles: bi-plane and jet. I would urge you to buy one of these as your nephew's first plane. Tape a dime to the nose of the plane to reduce its tendency to "porpoise", and your nephew will have a blast learning how to fly. The key is that a beginner needs to fly when there is NO WIND! The plane is less than 12" long, so it can be flown in small areas, including indoors in a gymnasium, large garage, barn, etc. It has a lithium battery, so you get about 12-15 minutes of flying per charge. The plane is virtually indestructable, so you don't need to worry about spare parts or repairs. Once your nephew learns to control the AeroAce, let him try the Blue Star.

The ParkFlyers Cessna 182 is definitely not a good beginner's plane; its not even a good second plane. I suggest that you sell it on e-bay and get a decent 3-channel beginner plane in its place. When you are ready to buy the next plane, let us know and we'll give you so much information that you will really get confused. There are a number of really good beginner planes, so when you are ready for the info, let us know.

General Jackson 12-03-2006 10:46 AM

Thanks Leo, I'll follow that advice.