RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Just bought a HZ Super Cub (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/5292472-just-bought-hz-super-cub.html)

Bigtimber 01-19-2007 09:45 PM

Just bought a HZ Super Cub

Got it all together, discharged battery and put a full charge on battery. Couldn't wait another moment and taxied alittle in the front yard, with a few little bursts...SWEET[8D] Perhaps Monday, if weather is permitting, I will give it a try in the air:D. Is there anything I can do to strenghten the plane before hand. I've read to take battery compartment off and epoxy it to body, apply packing tape to leading edge of wings and around the center of wings and around tail section. Are there any other suggestion to strenghten plane or any objections to doing these mentioned things? I would think there is going to be a at least some degree crashing going on...as I have VERY little experence flying[>:].
Anyone got any tips out there or adivce for a first time flier with a HZ Super Cub? Many Thanks:D

scoooper 01-20-2007 09:33 AM

RE: Just bought a HZ Super Cub

1 Attachment(s)
Bigtimer:::: Sounds like you got her ready!! pack'in tape & epoxy mods are a three ounces of pervention pick'in a windless day's a pound of cure!! how bout some pixs of you madien flight? your research on you plane an mods will pay off, After 40+ years of RC & Ucontrol I still learn something every time I fly!!!!! Best of luck to you, your bub scoooper

Bigtimber 01-20-2007 07:27 PM

Thanks for the reply!! Well I went ahead and did the packing tape things but didn't epoxy the battery box yet and may not. Wind was calm this evening and I headed to the park. Even though it was calm, I told myself I WAS NOT going to fly....I'll just taxi around the parking lot and get a feel for it. Well that didn't last too long:D. I decided even though there really was not enough room for a beginner there and that concrete pad, which covered about half the area, didn't look like a forgiving crash area, I had a few short flights, my first ever.
Although I did have three not so perfect landings (one pro-like one if I do say so myself :D) the plane is in perfect shape. This plane is really easy to fly and I think with alittle practice I'll really get the hang of it. I did four short flights, all ROG takeoffs, just basicly alittle oval and in for a landing. I always felt like I was basicly in control the whole time (although the controls respond alittle quicker than I was thinking they would [X(] It looked like a bunking bronco a couple of times in the air because of me figgiting with controls to much:D )..... I think I would have caught on right away except for me worrying about the tree line and not wanting to let her get too far away because of the surrounding trees and pond.
I managed to have some real success flying this plane and I really enjoyed it. Next time I'm gonna get to a wide open field were I can really turn her loose and fly. Believe me, when you give it the troddle it wants to do some serious flying badly:). I thank everyone who suggested the HZ SC, as so far I'm VERY pleased.:D:D

airdk 01-23-2007 12:43 AM

My son has the Supper Cub. If flew great and it took a lot of abuse. One more hint for your plane. Put tape on the leading wing over the plastic where the rubber bands go over the wing. Do this to the back part of the wing as well. Get a couple of props as well. Take them to the feild with you. By the way the props are the same ones that are used on the mustang and the FW 190.

Have fun

BriGuy76 02-02-2007 09:34 PM

Here is another little helper mod. My dad actually put a double layer of thn cardboard where the trailing edge of the wing and fuse meet. That way if ya land her hard or lawn dart it sucks up some impact and doesnt start notching out the wing or fuse, his actually had a decent seperation there before the cardboard mod, and the leading edge didn't sit where it was supposed to either. Came from the wing hitting the ground/objects before the fuse. Then again putting that cardboard in there if it is not notched out may sit the leading edge too forward, it's a good one to check out anyway. Good show on the wing tape and epoxy. The batt compartment came out on dad's a couple times, from not so nice landings/crashes, till we found this trick. Soon as my Wilga2000 gets here I'm going to be doing the same mods probably, that tape really helps prevent damage on the foam. But the SC has been an outstanding fun to fly plane. I know the first time he let me fly it I was all teeth ear to ear!! Best of luck and have fun!

DEFORCER 02-15-2007 12:17 PM

Im flying my Super Cub on LiPo's and they really bring out the spirit of the Super Cub, i reccomend it and welcome to the world of Electric RC.

vrocks 02-25-2007 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: DEFORCER

Im flying my Super Cub on LiPo's and they really bring out the spirit of the Super Cub, i reccomend it and welcome to the world of Electric RC.
Details on your Li-Po mod?

As for the thread starter, get 2 3/4 inch wheels (local hobby store) and possibly some collars (in case your wheel nuts won't fit anymore with the bigger wheels).
I had to use an xacto knife to shave the wheel rims down a bit to have enough landing gear protruding to put a collar on it.

With that wheel setup you can use dirt fields with small rocks and pebbles or grass without pitching forward and smacking the prop into the ground.

But lots of replacement rubber bands.. bring them with you. Props...

Amraam 02-26-2007 07:57 AM

Hehe, that middle picture looks like a shot from the goonies :D

JK :D