RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Planes that can fly in wind? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/5475580-planes-can-fly-wind.html)

sputnikxxx 02-25-2007 10:53 PM

Planes that can fly in wind?

I got me a slow stick but everytime I get ready to take it up the winds are just too much, I am being paitent because i have learned in the past that wind can be your enemy, but are there any other beginner planes that can be flown in the wind?...

I am guessing the wing shape is the main thing that the wind has an effect on.... with the dehidreal, and the shape

Hatty 02-26-2007 12:28 AM

RE: Planes that can fly in wind?

I don't know about where you live, but where I live, the winds are usually pretty bad during the winter. Very rarely will there be a day that is calm enough to fly. So, when the summer/spring hits, you will have a better chance of finding a windless day. As for planes that withstand the wind, there are some that do a better job than others. But lightweight planes will always have trouble in wind. And the slow stick isn't going to help since it doesn't like a lot of wind. Not much you can do about it.

Time Pilot 02-26-2007 01:21 AM

The answer is yes, there are beginner planes which handle the wind better, but they are harder to fly than the Slow Stick. Be patient. Mornings and evenings are the calmest. Don't wait too long after the sun has come up to fly. Once the sun gets a little punch to it, if it's cool out, you'll be amazed at how quickly the air will go from perfectly still to bumpy.

sputnikxxx 02-26-2007 01:39 AM

I am being paitent it is just hard for me to find time to fly cause, I work evenings, and I sleep in the mornings because of getting off late, so basically my only time to fly is like you said the worst part of the day....

I know my mini slinger can handle wind a lot better, but its on its last leg right now... but I appreciate the info guys

Leo L 02-28-2007 12:52 PM

Both the EasyStar and the SuperCub are great, easy fliers that can handle a lot more wind than the SS. I prefer the SuperCub in the way that it flies, the way that it looks, and the fact that it has landing gear. (I refuse to do hand launches. I even added landing gear to my AeroAce.) However, if you prefer hand launching, or want to save some bucks, get the EasyStar ARF and transfer the electronics from your SS.

sputnikxxx 03-01-2007 03:26 AM

I will go with the Super Cub I have been looking it over and I really like it a lot... the wind actually was nice today so I was able to fly it,

I have heard nothing bad yet about the super cub and since its ready to fly for 159.00 I cant beat that

divergoff 03-03-2007 08:31 AM

The only way to really handel with is w/ a four channel plane. The threes just do not have the control, espacially if landing in a crosswind. So I would sugggest getting comfortable on the Supercub but the only way to handle wind is with a full function plane.