RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   What’s the best Electric plane to learn 3D with? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/5780270-what%E2%80%99s-best-electric-plane-learn-3d.html)

Air Wolf 04-27-2007 07:05 PM

What’s the best Electric plane to learn 3D with?

I want to learn 3d but I have no idea what kind of plane and/or equipment is the best. Any suggestions?

jdetray 04-27-2007 09:42 PM

RE: What’s the best Electric plane to learn 3D with?

Air Wolf -

Do you already have R/C flying experience? If not, it will be very difficult to start with a 3D plane! You need to start with a good, stable trainer and work you way up to 3D flying.

- Jeff

Air Wolf 04-28-2007 10:01 AM

Yes. I've flown about five years, but that doesn’t say much for where I live. We have a short flying season.

I’ve done the trainer and now I’m flying both the trainer and a Giles 46-60 size. The Giles is an aerobatic plane and with a big enough engine and the right pilot it might even do 3D.

So far I’ve only flown glow, no electrics.

jdetray 04-28-2007 10:31 AM

Great! It sounds like you have plenty of experience.

There are literally hundreds of 3D electrics available. They range from 30" foamies to big balsa-and-covering planes. There are even some electric powered 40% Extras!

Do you have any idea where in this broad range you'd like to be?

- Jeff

Air Wolf 04-28-2007 10:47 AM

I would like something that works well outside even with 15 mile/hr wind. I don’t want something really big right now. If I get the hang of 3D then I might go bigger later. Also since I’ve never done 3D I’ll probably end up in the ground often so something durable and without a lot of building time would be nice.

Maybe a foamy? How are they in wind?

jdetray 04-28-2007 11:07 AM

Your typical small 12-ounce 3D foamie won't do very well in a 15 mph wind. 3D is challenging enough without having your plane blown around like a leaf.

I'll have to leave it for someone else to make recommendations -- I'm out of my depth when it comes to anything larger than small foamies.

- Jeff

Air Wolf 04-28-2007 11:21 AM

Thanks! I appreciate your input.

AirforceRcks 04-28-2007 12:00 PM

I dont know about you guys but maybe a Airfoilz?? pretty nice. i just ordered one after test flying one at my LHS.
i think that they can handle wind pretty darn good.

Leo L 05-01-2007 07:08 AM

Consider getting the ParkZone Typhoon. Its a terrific flying plane that can do 3-D.

gt5500 05-01-2007 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Leo L

Consider getting the ParkZone Typhoon. Its a terrific flying plane that can do 3-D.
Since he already has some artf planes I assume he already has radio gear some skip the parkzone RTF stuff, I have heard that airfoilz planes and the superzoom/ sniper are very good 3d planes to learn on, they also seem to fly great in high wind. The zoom/sniper is probably slightly better for the beginner as it is all EPP so its very strong,I would have a look through the forums for these models.

Fliprob17 05-01-2007 09:20 AM

I went with the E-Flite YAK 54F as my first 3D plane, and it was a piece of cake, had it hovering no problem the first flight. It does decent in wind too. It was blowing about 10mph this past weekend, and it was not affected too much.

Air Wolf 05-01-2007 09:56 AM

I’ve read the reviews here on RC Universe on the AirfoilZ Yak 54 and Edge 540. They both sound like great planes. I’m thinking of getting the Edge 540 but before I do I’ll try to have a look at some of the others mentioned here.

gt5500 05-02-2007 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Air Wolf

I’ve read the reviews here on RC Universe on the AirfoilZ Yak 54 and Edge 540. They both sound like great planes. I’m thinking of getting the Edge 540 but before I do I’ll try to have a look at some of the others mentioned here.
Don't forget to check out the superzoom and sniper;)

Air Wolf 05-06-2007 05:23 PM

Well, I’ve had a look at the planes suggested here and I think I’ll go with the AirfoilZ Edge 540. The E-Flite YAK 54F looks like it would be a good one too to train 3d on but I’m sold on the Edge.

Charger?
What charger do I get? I need something that will charge Li-polys, NiCd’s and NiMH’s. I want to be able to charge all my transmitters and receivers with it. I’m not a very serious competitive flyer so I don’t need something really expensive but still something descent and something I won’t easily ruin my batteries with.

We have a guy in our club who’s a pretty serious flyer. He fly’s electrics, glows, and his preference turbines. He suggested I should stay away from the Triton charger even though it can charge all kinds of different chemistry's, but he figured it was far too easy to make a mistake and wreak your battery packs with it.

Fliprob17 05-06-2007 06:15 PM

If you are hooked on a charger to charge all chemistry batteries, an "all in one" deal that chance of "wreaking havoc" is always going to be there. Unless you get two separate chargers, the possibility for human error always exists. The Triton 2 is the best to do it all I believe.

AirforceRcks 05-06-2007 09:13 PM

i like the thunder power charger and balancer sets. very nice

gt5500 05-07-2007 07:19 AM

Well, I’ve had a look at the planes suggested here and I think I’ll go with the AirfoilZ Edge 540. The E-Flite YAK 54F looks like it would be a good one too to train 3d on but I’m sold on the Edge.

Charger?
What charger do I get? I need something that will charge Li-polys, NiCd’s and NiMH’s. I want to be able to charge all my transmitters and receivers with it. I’m not a very serious competitive flyer so I don’t need something really expensive but still something descent and something I won’t easily ruin my batteries with.

We have a guy in our club who’s a pretty serious flyer. He fly’s electrics, glows, and his preference turbines. He suggested I should stay away from the Triton charger even though it can charge all kinds of different chemistry's, but he figured it was far too easy to make a mistake and wreak your battery packs with it.
What made you pick the airfoilz over the zoom/sniper? I am not trying to soend you money or anything and I understand that the edge is a great plane, its just that you wanted a 3d trainer and the zoom/sniper are made from EPP which equals a stronger plane, since you are going to have a lot of bumps learning 3d its definately a plane I would consider, if you just plain prefer the airfoilz then go for it you will be very happy.

Fliprob17 05-07-2007 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: AirforceRcks

i like the thunder power charger and balancer sets. very nice
The Thunder Power chargers and balancers are great.........for LiPo's. I think he is looking for one single charger that does NiMh and LiPo's.

Air Wolf 05-09-2007 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: gt5500

What made you pick the airfoilz over the zoom/sniper? I am not trying to soend you money or anything and I understand that the edge is a great plane, its just that you wanted a 3d trainer and the zoom/sniper are made from EPP which equals a stronger plane, since you are going to have a lot of bumps learning 3d its definately a plane I would consider, if you just plain prefer the airfoilz then go for it you will be very happy.
Honestly, I just prefer the AirfoilZ Edge 540. The price for the Edge might be a bit lower then the Zoom but then again I don’t know if the equipment for the Zoom is better. The Edge and the Sniper seem to be just about the same in price.

So if I get the Edge hopefully I won’t be disappointed.

gt5500 05-11-2007 06:08 AM

Honestly, I just prefer the AirfoilZ Edge 540. The price for the Edge might be a bit lower then the Zoom but then again I don’t know if the equipment for the Zoom is better. The Edge and the Sniper seem to be just about the same in price.

So if I get the Edge hopefully I won’t be disappointed.
The zoom and the sniper are the same plane hence being the same price, they are more then the edge because they are EPP, the edge is a great plane though.

Air Wolf 05-11-2007 10:28 AM

The zoom and the sniper are the same plane hence being the same price, they are more then the edge because they are EPP, the edge is a great plane though.
I haven’t ordered the edge yet so there’s still time to change my mind.

What do you recommend for the zoom/sniper, 39-1/3" wingspan, 39-3/4" long?
Motor?
ESC?
Receiver?
Servos?
Battery?
Prop?
And whatever else is needed? A transmitter I have.

gt5500 05-12-2007 07:18 AM

I haven’t ordered the edge yet so there’s still time to change my mind.

What do you recommend for the zoom/sniper, 39-1/3" wingspan, 39-3/4" long?
Motor?
ESC?
Receiver?
Servos?
Battery?
Prop?
And whatever else is needed? A transmitter I have.
Best bet is to do some searches there are massive thread about this plane on the forums should be able to find a good setup, since they are both marketed by motor manufacturers they probably have a suggested motor of their own brand as well. Most peple use HS 55 or similar 9g servos receiver just needs to be the best and lightest you can afford, I would get something that isn't too fragile though, no need to worry about range because most 3d flying is done close to you.