RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   I'm new here! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/5991503-im-new-here.html)

skatermike24 06-15-2007 12:22 PM

I'm new here!

Well after about 3 years away from this addicting hobby, I have relapsed yet again, first boats, then heli's. So I was out boating this past weekend with my wife and son, minding my own busniess when a sea plane flew right over my head. I looked up, looked over at my wife and smiled, first words out of her mouth ( OH NO! ) Next day I was at my local hobby shop buying a RTF cheapie just to try my hand at flying. I bought a Skyfly, don't laugh its just the beginning!!!!!

Bad_Daddy 06-15-2007 12:42 PM

RE: I'm new here!

Whenever my wife gives me that "Oh no" look, I gently remind her that my hobbies are FAR less expensive than keeping a mistress. [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Welcome back to the addiction!

ozrcboy 06-16-2007 05:14 PM

LOL - welcome back.

Flying Tiger Nephew 06-17-2007 01:30 PM

I got a SkyFky yesterday. I am also new, having never flew before. How have you done so far? I found that the plane was kinda non-responsive....mine seemed to want to make turns in only one direction and it was very difficult to pull it out of the turn...this makes sense if it favors one bank. It is a very resilient plane though. Let me know how your flying is going.

Sir Raleigh 06-17-2007 03:15 PM

You probably need to trim your plane to get it to fly properly.

Go here: http://www.oz********.com/2007/03/le...ers-guide.html , select "Part 2 - Before your first flight" then scroll down to the heading "Preparing for your first flight" and read up on how to trim the plane.

I think then you'll be all set.

Leo L 06-22-2007 12:39 PM

The SkyFly is a nice way to start. When you are ready to move on to a different plane, let us know and we'll either help you, or get you totally confused.

skatermike24 06-22-2007 01:00 PM

Well I have to say the Skyfly is a trooper and flying a plane is nothing like a heli. Man that thing has hit the ground more times then I can count and I just pick it up a throw it back in the air. Stay tuned

minobu 07-07-2007 01:35 AM

Yeah I am new as well and have basically replaced every part except for the engine and servo on my SkyFly [&:] It is pretty tough considering I have flown it into light poles at full speed nose first into the ground , etc etc hehe

right now I am researching whether to upgrade to a parkflyers or Hobbico cessna 182 or to a Multiplex Magister which is a tough decision.

good luck

jooNorway 07-07-2007 10:36 AM

Although I think my Magister was a very good plane it requires some more expensive setup than the smaller ones. I would recommend to buy the MPX Minimag instead, and add ailerons to it. The Magister flies quite fast, and crashes become more brutal and expensive than smaller and lighter models. When all your landings could be called controlled landings it is time to step up, not before.

Strange how women don`t understand our need to have gadgets :eek:

minobu 07-10-2007 09:40 AM

Thanks for the advice it is greatly appreciated. You are the second person that has suggested the minimag which is the only plane i have seen 2 people agree on being a good choice for a second plane I think that pretty much seals the deal for me as far as what to get for a second plane. [8D] Thanks again

Leo L 07-10-2007 11:42 AM

Make that three people. The Minimag is a terrific plane to start learning aileron control with. I would suggest that you consider building it with an outrunner and a LiPo set up. Flies much better this way.

minobu 07-16-2007 09:30 AM

I have been looking at the minimag and was trying to decide if I should get the ARF, RTF or the Kit. I see some advantages to all three like with the RTF getting everything at once including the simulator software, but was wondering if it would be worth the extra cost to get everything separate which brings in a whole slew of other choices like what would be a decent inexpensive radio system etc etc?

Thanks,
Jim

saucerguy 07-16-2007 09:53 AM

Check out the for sale section here, you will find some deals. I'm going to leave it at that.