RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Super Cub or G2? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/6029157-super-cub-g2.html)

shanet75 06-24-2007 06:52 PM

Super Cub or G2?

Afternoon All....
Funds are tite and I am looking to get into the wonderful world of electric planes. I've decided on getting a HZ SuperCub. I was wondering if these are a decent plane to learn to fly with? I have had some expereince with glow planes but not much. If this is too tough to learn with, I will get Realflight g2 instead and practice til I can fund the plane. Any help would be greatly appreciated....

surjer 06-24-2007 07:39 PM

RE: Super Cub or G2?

Well, you will hear this alot but its really worth listening to. Find yourself a good instructor to help you with your 1st flights.

On the otherhand. I didnt have the luxery of knowing about these forums when I got my plane last xmas. I took it up with no experience what soever. So far I have had about 4 flights and all have gone really well. I think the SuperCub is an EXCELLENT plane to learn on. It is VERY easy to fly. Your local hobby shop probably has Real Flight setup so you can have a go at it a few times. I have since bought real flight and that too is an awesome tool. It really helps you get used to controlling a plane when its coming towards you. Anyways - Personally, I would have rather bought real flight 1st and THEN my plane but I have been lucky in not crashing my plane. LOTS of other people didnt have the same results when they tried to fly with no training on a SIM.. There was a guy at the field not too long ago that was flying his P-51 PTS solo for the 1st time off the sim and he took it up about 5 times and landed safely every time. Another new guy took his up and crashed it about 4 minutes into the flight because he got disoriented.

If it were me I would get the real flight simulator 1st! Then after you can take off and land EVERY TIME you should be ready to get you a trainer plane. The SuperCub is an AWESOME trainer for new guys like us...

mrasmm 06-24-2007 07:47 PM

I agree, get the sim first, or you could use something like FMS and the esky TX or another Tx that you already have to get your orientation down. A real super duper sim isn't really required for orientation, and if that's what you want to learn on the sim, the cheaper the better. If you want to learn tricks and stuff later on with the sim, or progress onto different upscale models or something, I would suggest the better sim. Also I agree, have someone who knows how to fly take you out your first 1/2 doz flights or so till you get comfortable with the plane and can fly it and land it by yourself with them just watching =) Also for your first several flights, take it easy on the weather, because that plays a big factor in how you can control the plane, especially with a low wing load low speed over wing trainer =)

Leo L 06-25-2007 07:04 AM

Shanet,

By all means get the SuperCub and start flying! A simulator is essential if you are learning to fly a heli; its not that important for a plane. I've been flying for two years and I've never used a simulator. I've watched several flyers start with the SuperCub, never having flown anything or used a simulator, and they all did very well first time out. The most important thing that a simulator teaches you is control reversal: when the plane is flying toward you, you must input left if you want it to go right, etc. A simple rule that some people use to help them remember what to do is "prop up the wing". In other words, when the plane is flying toward you and you want to straighten it out, move the stick as if you will be supporting whichever wing is lower.

Get the plane and go have some fun!

Leo

r/cmark42 06-25-2007 07:43 AM

I agree that jumping in and flying off the bat with out an instructor can work. But, if you are on a tight budget, this is a formula for financial frustration on top of the mental fatigue you will have trying to figure it out on your own
1) find an instructor or someone with experience to help
2) practice on a sim
3) be prepared to pay out some $ as you progress through this wonderful hobby (it unavoidable) :)

shanet75 06-25-2007 08:40 AM

Thanks for all the replies. It's just Shane though :)
I guess I could still go either way. They have a g3.5 setup at my lhs. Maybe I'll stop in for a bit and try it out. Then just get the plane. Are there any other choices out there for a really good beginner plane, or is the SuperCub a good choice?
Thanks again..

r/cmark42 06-25-2007 08:45 AM

Talk to your lhs, I'm sure they wll have several options. I believe something with a push prop is your best choice for a first plane. The beginair gets lots of good reveiws in this forum.. (I think the cub will make a good 2nd plane)

shanet75 06-25-2007 04:21 PM

Way too many choices the more I look into it :) Still not sure what I'm going to do, but I'll keep researching.....

r/cmark42 06-25-2007 04:24 PM

once you get going, you will have a ball!!!

S.C.C. 06-25-2007 06:28 PM

Shane.
Get the S Cub, you will love it;)
http://media.putfile.com/sc005

Next choice would be this.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar-rtf.htm

Good luck

Paul

shanet75 06-25-2007 07:09 PM

S.C.C.,
Was that you flying at the beach? That was too darn cool. I do like the way the Supercub looks and it seems to fly really well. I believe I have made up my mind....
Thakn you everyone.nk

S.C.C. 06-26-2007 02:02 AM

Yep, that was me. :D
I must admit i had some stick experiece with flying helis or more precisely crashing them[:o] toooo exspensive.

So i started to look at planes and found the Super cub thread here at RCU. It was about 60 pages long, by the time i got to the 50th page i had decided i was going to be an owner of one of these beauties. Its now six months old and i am still having as much fun now as i did on my maiden.

My one piece of advise. Be patient and wait for a nice calm day to make your first few flights.

Drop into the Super cub forum sometime.
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/index.cgi

cheers

Paul

S.C.C. 06-26-2007 05:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Leo L
The most important thing that a simulator teaches you is control reversal: when the plane is flying toward you, you must input left if you want it to go right, etc. A simple rule that some people use to help them remember what to do is "prop up the wing". In other words, when the plane is flying toward you and you want to straighten it out, move the stick as if you will be supporting whichever wing is lower.
Leo
Hi Leo
That is absolutely brilliant.
I wish i had heard this rule when i was flying helis, i would probably have a few more $$$ in the pocket.

Cheers

Paul

shanet75 06-26-2007 06:18 AM

Quite helpful. I'll check out the other forum. I'll also keep my eyes peeled for a used g2 simulator. My pc can't handle much more than that. They are getting hard to come by though.
Thanks again everyone...